+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: two for one

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Likes

two for one

I hope the jack leg that installed this unit sees this in the WOS. I highly doubt it because I don't know of a licensed hvac contractor who would install a unit this way.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Post Likes
    Is it a unit inside the old one? The drain certainly caught my eye.....

Post Likes
    What a great idea.

Post Likes
    that's special

was it having an issue?
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Post Likes
    Just when you think you've seen it all.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten". --Benjamin Franklin
    "Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". --Mark Twain
    http://www.campbellmechanical.com

Post Likes
    You see something like this

Post Likes
    Homeowner is trying to sell the house. Inspector wrote up unit as leaking air. We get the call and this is what we found. A new unit inside an old unit leaking air everwhere. We will be repairing this poor craftsman ship today.

Post Likes
    The safety pan might actually be under coil?

Post Likes
    Why would anyone do that lol

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by WarTurtle View Post
    Because they are:
    1) Totally lazy
    2) Don't have a clue of what they are doing
    3) A weekend DIY'er
    Psalm 51:10, 12

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by WarTurtle View Post
    Where there is a will, there is a way.

Post Likes
    It's an extra layer of insulation.

Post Likes
    That is sweet. I would love to hear the conversation that took place when it was done. It's a hybrid!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ORV View Post
    That is sweet. I would love to hear the conversation that took place when it was done. It's a hybrid!
    The contractor charged extra for that. Hybrid technology doesn't come cheap.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

Post Likes
    THIS HAS GOT TO BE THE FUNNIEST AND WORST INSTALL IDEA IVE EVER SEEN.. has to go for possible win for WOS of 2012 1st place winner for sure )

Post Likes
    Ive seen a lot of jacked up mess, but thats on a whole new level.

Post Likes
    Kinda like Turduckin

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    Nothing wrong with this. This is beautiful. Mother Nature at her best. A female ahu giving birth for the first time. Did you use clean hot towels to handle the newborn? Can not wait to see pics of the newborn. Anxiously awaiting!
    You need to put the phone down and get back to work!

Post Likes
    Sadly, I had to do something similar for a property management company recently. The owner REFUSED to buy a new air handler, 2-ton wallhanger, I think it was a Carrier...Whatever. Evap coil packed, about 20 years old, and multiple small leaks on coil. Previous service guys topped-off frequently. So the landlord handed me a 12-year-old 2-ton slant-coil handler to put in instead. Before I did anything, I found that the "new" blower motor was shot. Wheel was corroded and missing tines as well. Couldn't return unit, and owner still refused to buy new unit.

I pull old coil, and find that blower bolts (shoulda been screws) are rusted and cannot be pulled. Sad thing is, unit was NOT hanging...slipping hand behind it, I can feel the round, rusted head of a CARRIAGE bolt! Outside closet opposite wall is breaker panel. Pull off plate, see the bolts and nuts...Which I can't get a wrench on without getting zapped.

Here's where I had to finagle. Put new coil into old unit, which slant coil was angling wrong way, but since I needed a condensate pump anyway, no big deal. Sadly, the new coil is deeper front-back than old unit (still bolted to wall.) Cut new panel with snips and sawzall, and foam-taped all sharp edges, to make it fit. No float switch, since this is a property management cheapskate owner. 3" self-tappers to mount modified panel over coil, and sucker actually works. No callbacks, no water leaks, no icing-up, etc.

What was I paid for this job? 4 hours labor, at $25 an hour. But wait, this is a 1099 job...I get to pay taxes on it! Took me a day to realize what I did, went back in, and said they can do it MY way or I am gone. Bought all new systems when needed since, better pay obviously, but a LOT less calls given to me. No matter. DO I need the stress? But honestly, I am ashamed that I had to stoop to that level even once. Never again.

Post Likes
    Oh yeah...Since the slant coil is deeper than the unit it isn't actually pitched right either I remember...So I think I mounted the OLD pan to the new pan and ran BOTH "drains" into the pump. I know, I know...But it worked, and I haven't needed to go back to that Section-8 property since.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in