Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thumbs down most important equipment

For anyone installing a used Preway or any other used factory built fireplace, please don't forget the most essential piece of equipment-- smoke alarm. Dont' say I didn't warn you but you should be discarding these fireplaces as you run a very real risk of unfriendly fire and are putting at risk anyone who enters your home. Life is just too short.
    Bad, bad idea.

Confused UNSAFE PREWAY?

If the unit was installed by a professional, why wouldn't it be safe?

Quote Originally Posted by hearthman View Post
    For anyone installing a used Preway or any other used factory built fireplace, please don't forget the most essential piece of equipment-- smoke alarm. Dont' say I didn't warn you but you should be discarding these fireplaces as you run a very real risk of unfriendly fire and are putting at risk anyone who enters your home. Life is just too short.
    Bad, bad idea.

Thumbs down no justification

We're talking about a USED factory built fireplace here, right? As in not original condition as in the lances on the pipe joints have to be damaged to disassemble then re-assemble the pipe. We're also talking about installing an appliance to contain fire that is no longer listed, therefore illegal to install per most building codes. Since the mfr. is no longer around, there is no one for warranty or support. Also, if they find out, your insurance carrier may cancel your homeowners. In the even of a loss, they may be able to deny coverage.

Factory built fireplaces were never tested, designed or intended to be moved from one place to another.

Now, other than saving a few bucks, give me one logical justification to put people's lives at risk.

In desperate need of Preway Install Specs

Quote Originally Posted by TwinGlenda View Post
    Our Preway metal fireplace is model #B142B and it was installed when our house was built in 1980. I have a copy of the installation/instruction manual. It appears you were looking for a copy in Nov. 2006, but since it has been 9 months, you probably don't need it anymore. Did you find one? I've heard Preway went out of business in approx. 1989.

This Installation, Service Instructions and Parts List is for 3 models:
    B128B
    B136B
    B142B

I am moving into a house I recently purchased. The fireplace i have is a Preway, and since they are out of business I can't find a manual. My mechanical inspector is requiring I show the specifications. If you still have the manual, I would greatly appreciate a little help.

Since it is obvious by the professionals that replacing a Preway chimney systems with used parts, (if you could even get them), is not advisable, could you recommend a system to replace the whole Preway chimney system that has just been removed for a roof/chimney repair ? I believe that Preway is no longer. What is compatible for replacement?

need owners manual for a preway b142b FIREPLACE

Quote Originally Posted by TwinGlenda View Post
    Our Preway metal fireplace is model #B142B and it was installed when our house was built in 1980. I have a copy of the installation/instruction manual. It appears you were looking for a copy in Nov. 2006, but since it has been 9 months, you probably don't need it anymore. Did you find one? I've heard Preway went out of business in approx. 1989.

This Installation, Service Instructions and Parts List is for 3 models:
    B128B
    B136B
    B142B
    Do you still have a copy of your owners manual, I'll be willing to pay for a digital copy of it if it is for a Preway B142b

Thanks for your time,
    Rob.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12