What to use to braze copper to stainless steel?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 21
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    38

    Confused What to use to braze copper to stainless steel?

    Hey guys. Anyone have suggestions on what brazing alloys will work for brazing copper tubing to 304 stainless fittings? This is a plate heat exchanger as an r134 evaporator. Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Chicagoland Area
    Posts
    4,495
    silver solder
    Officially, Down for the count

    YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

    I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    burlington county n.j.
    Posts
    9,682
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    silver solder
    +1 the good stuff and the white paste flux.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Tampa Florida
    Posts
    759
    Quote Originally Posted by twophase View Post
    Hey guys. Anyone have suggestions on what brazing alloys will work for brazing copper tubing to 304 stainless fittings? This is a plate heat exchanger as an r134 evaporator. Thanks in advance.

    I just did a couple and used 45% with the Harris white paste.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Mid-Mo
    Posts
    3,588
    Quote Originally Posted by jimp View Post
    I just did a couple and used 45% with the Harris white paste.
    I was thinking 45% coated rod.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    So-Cal
    Posts
    576
    The orange coated rod

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Kansas City, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    13,817
    X2

    I use 50%flux coated rod
    And paste.

    The real trick is EVEN heat.

    I use a smith torch with the round tip.




    Quote Originally Posted by jackintheboxtec View Post
    The orange coated rod

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New York, ny
    Posts
    188
    stay bright? with flux

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    michigan
    Posts
    1,145
    56 percent silver and flux, does a great job, nice flow

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    silver solder
    So when you say silver solder, I assume it's different from the lead free plumbing solder? I know that's got a decent ammount of silver in it.

    I have a little bit of blue flux coated rod that looks like it's a pretty high silver content. Anyone know what that might be? I only have six 3/8 in. joints to make and those packs of high silver alloys are brutally expensive. If the silver plumbing solder will work, I'll probably just try that since it is just a personal project, long term reliability is not a major concern, and it's on the low pressure side. If not, I'll just have to cough up the $$$.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Tampa Florida
    Posts
    759
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan1088 View Post
    I was thinking 45% coated rod.

    I like to control the flux, and brush it on before I braze.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Kansas City, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    13,817
    NO 95/5 solder will NOT work!

    The blue rod will work.

    Orange better. 56% silver. 23% copper. Zinc and tin.

    You buy it by the rod

    You only need one!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Chicagoland Area
    Posts
    4,495
    Quote Originally Posted by twophase View Post
    So when you say silver solder, I assume it's different from the lead free plumbing solder? I know that's got a decent ammount of silver in it.

    I have a little bit of blue flux coated rod that looks like it's a pretty high silver content. Anyone know what that might be? I only have six 3/8 in. joints to make and those packs of high silver alloys are brutally expensive. If the silver plumbing solder will work, I'll probably just try that since it is just a personal project, long term reliability is not a major concern, and it's on the low pressure side. If not, I'll just have to cough up the $$$.
    Safety Silv 45% . Plumbing solder will not work. Sears sells the coated rods the others are talking about. Any welding or gas supply store should have those also.
    Officially, Down for the count

    YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

    I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event