The cabinet of my new air handler installed 2 weeks ago is sucking air. The leaks are making a whistling sound. My contractor wants to seal up with metal duct tape.

I told him I did not the problem fixed with duct tape, that I wanted the cabinet taken apart and reassemebled correctly.

Is the use of duct tape a standard fix for this or the lazy way out? I just want to know if I am being too picky, I spent a lot of money on this system and I paid to have it done right.

Thats a tough call without seeing it. Now If its a door panel as compared to corner or edge that your talking about, where it leaks... there are differant things he can do to seal it. If its a door panel , they might have to seal it with some type of seal material like door seal.

Tearing it apart an reassembling might not do a thing for it. I wouldnt let it go at just taping over the door tho. Im sure they can get take a little time to solve your problem but just dont go with the idea that because you have a little whistle or noise that you got a lemon.

Its not that uncomon that a piece of equipment needs a little adjusting to solve an air noise.

Just dont listen if you get someone ranting for you to have them tear it out and put in a whole new unit. Their just trying to create havic and you wouldnt see them tearing out one of their units for something they could solve with very little effort.

Just give them a chance to make it right as long as they do a willing to do a decent job and just not throw tape over it , if its from a door panel. If its a corner of a plenum or nothing to do with one of the doors, the steel tape should probably not be a problem. If thats not satisfactory to you they can use certain mastics or silacones.

Its just hard to say without seeing it. Just talk to him and let him explain the options. Just dont feel you got a lemon over something that has an easy solve.

would you prefer silicone.....

over the metal tape? Alot of units leak air right from the factory, and have to be sealed on-sight. That's a minor issue you have, and siliconing the inside is better than taping the outside IMO.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Is this a horizontal or vertical installation?
    Is it a gas furnace or an electric air handler?
    Got any pictures of it that you can post?

Air leaking around panels enough to make noise can be a symptom of a serious airflow or installation problem, or it could be nothing at all.

Having a very small amount of air leakage around access panels is relativly common, especially on gas furnaces.
    If I find a unit that is sucking in any air around panels, and I don't find airflow or installation issues that are causing it, I tape around the panels with cloth gaffers tape or silver mylar tape.
    I always tape around the blower access on gas furnaces and most air handlers if they are installed in an attic or crawl space, even if there is no noticable air leakage.

I don't recommend metal foil tape or vynal duct tape for sealing access panels because it is difficult to remove for service.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Re: would you prefer silicone.....

Originally posted by smokin68
    That's a minor issue you have, and siliconing the inside is better than taping the outside IMO.
    Please tell me you don't use silicon to seal access panels....

Re: Re: would you prefer silicone.....

Originally posted by mark beiser
    Originally posted by smokin68
    That's a minor issue you have, and siliconing the inside is better than taping the outside IMO.
    Please tell me you don't use silicon to seal access panels....

O.K. I won't tell you.
    If everything was always done "by the book"....the book would never change.

Sealing access panels with silicon is just being mean to whoever has to remove the panels for service next.

Tell us where the leaks are, there are diffferent methods for different leaks.

And siliconing access panels is not right.
    Unless Marks going there to service it.
    J?K.

Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Talking

We have used foam tape to assist the factory door gasket and it seems to work pretty good in most cases.
    heattech

If it hasnt worked properly since you serviced it last then why did it take the customer 2 years to complain??

Originally posted by beenthere
    And siliconing access panels is not right.
    Unless Marks going there to service it.
    !

I'm with Mark on this one.... I suspect a high return static condition.

Yeah it could be a torn gasket or slight ding in the panel but.... Nah, I think the return is choked.

I know York a/hs tend to whistle at the plastic center section. I've used a strip of elec tape and that stops it.

Trane's can whistle at the little overflow holes in the drain outlet. If there's a secondary drain I put a dab of caulk in the extra holes, and caulk around the lineset holes as well.
    Sometimes the gap where two panels meet and screw to the unit will whistle as well.
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated