Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Proper size orifice to use in a 4 ton "A"-Coil when using a 5 ton condensor

I have a 4 ton split system. The air handler and the furnace are located in the attic and the system is a horizontal system. The condensor is located outside. The system is 16 years old. The furnace and air handler still work great. The furnace is hardly ever used because the upstairs of our home has vaulted ceilings and the downstairs unit keeps the upstairs warm. Cooling is a different story though. The "A" coil is shot. I have replaced the existing uncased "A" coil with a cased "A" coil. I had problems with the condensor unit also and have since purchased a 5 ton Trane condensor that is only a few years old. I haven't installed the newer 5 ton condensor yet but have installed the new "A" coil. I know that you are not supposed to mix-match condensors and "A" coils but I was told that I could make this equipment work by changing out the orifice in the "A" coil. The equipment uses the R-22 freon. The new "A" coil comes with a No. 83 orifice which I assume is .083 orifice size but not sure. My question is what is the proper size orifice that I need to use in the "A" coil. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks

you cant down size a coil you can only up size then I would realy use a txv. when a larger a coil is used its there to give greater surface area likely for more latent removal

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 12-19-2012 at 07:36 PM. Reason: non AOP member

Hello again, This new cased "A" coil is considerably larger than the uncased "A" coil that I replaced. Can you explain to me what the txv does and where to install it and do I still need to change the orifice size? Thanks

These things rarely play out well, a qualified service tech can explain the difference between a txv and an orifice, or even easier a google search. Now call up a reputable company and quit wasting money on used equipment.

What size blower does your furnace have.
    Good chance your not going to have enough air flow for the 5 ton.

PS: This isn't a DIY site.

Air handler and furnace? I'm a little confused. You say you replaced a uncased A coil with a cased A coil? So did you remove the coil from your air handler and install a cased evaporator coil in your ductwork?

Please post model and serial numbers of all indoor and outdoor equipment. We will not give you DIY advice but we can tell you whether your replacement coil is compatible with the existing system.

Hello, The cased "A" coil is a Model # TXCO49C4HPCO S/N Z0522LH5G made by American Standard. The 5 Ton condensor is made by Trane and it is Model # 2TTR1060A1000AA and S/N 5311T292F. I did remove the uncased coil from my air handler unit. It was in a housing that was mounted in front of the air handler. I removed the box that it was in and replaced this box with the cased "A" coil. I then replaced the plenum that mounts after the "A" coil. So far with just running the heat the fan on the air handler does a great job. This "A" coil is larger than the one I removed size wise. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

What's your air handler model number?

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Ridley View Post
    What's your air handler model number?
    Hello, I have been unable to find that information on the unit. I have looked everywhere for the data tag but cannot find it. Any suggestions on where it might be? Thanks

Ok. It's time to call a professional. You have a 4 ton indoor coil. It will NOT work with a 5 ton ODU. Period.

You have me really confused on what you have done to your system. Call a local contractor before you hurt yourself, others, or your system.

You either have a air handler (electric) or furnace (gas) w/evap coil. You don't have both. Please post pictures if I am incorrect.

Post a pic of you air handler.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    Post a pic of you air handler.
    Hello, I will have to take that picture tonight when I get off of work. By the way my furnace is gas and there is a fan at the front of the unit. then the furnace. The "A" coil is attached to the front of the furnace just like the old one was and then the plenum is attached to the "A" coil. What is dangerous about this? It has been this way for 16 years. Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast