+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Broad absorber HTG low level

Post Likes

Broad absorber HTG low level

We're looking at a BZHE150 Broad absorber that won't do any work. It continually trips on a "HTG low level (Zone A)" alarm and goes into decrystallization. It appears to have excessive non-condensables (bubble rate much higher than spec) which we have started to remove. Unfortunately we have little in the way of usefully information, manuals etc for this machine. We believe the vacuum should be between 5 to 6mm of Hg: where and when (running or stopped) do we measure this and is a digital vacustat suitable?

Post Likes
    Hey Mal,

Long time no hear mate - hope all is well for you at the dirty D. Sounds like you have been thrown in the deep end with this one so will give you some quick advice - refrigerant cycle (pressures/sat temps) is no different for ABS except Libr + heat is your medium for changing the refrigerant vapour pressure instead of a compressor. If you have a leak it ain't gonna work too good until repaired - also suggest you need to get a hold of an equilibrium chart and probably your best resource to understand two stage ABS would be to have a good read of ABS-SG-2, should be able to get it off comfortsite. Now for some questions is this a steam, gas or flue gas chiller - manuals should not be required once you understand the principles - has the solution been analysed? Have you been in touch with Richo as he will probably be your best bet to get things happening before xmas. I will be travelling over the Christmass break but give me a call if you want to discuss - NB has my number. Mal all the best to you and your family, again give me a call if you want to run through this.
    Necessity is the mother of invention

Post Likes
    Hey Mark,

Good to hear from you man. To be honest just when I think the dirty D. can't get any dirtier it does. If I can believe the rumours something interesting is likely to happen next year; anyway...how's the big C treating you? And yes the deep end is where I'm want to swim.

I suspect this machine has a gut full of air but I think we'll need to prove that before we'll get the go ahead to look for a leak. Apparently they have had someone from down south as well as someone from China look at it: it works for a while then stops which would be typical of an air leak. We were to get a solution sample but suffered a mishap with the sample flask; got to get a flash and try again. Is Trane the best to analyse a sample? This absorber has two HTG's and uses exhaust heat from the diesel gen-set (but it doesn't produce enough heat) for one and gas for the other. It also uses jacket water from the motor for the LTG.

I'll give you a call after Christmas and maybe talk to Richo in early January: this thing has played up so much for so long they don't seem to expect it to run. Enjoy your Christmas.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in