Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    IMHO the 14AJM units are excellent for what they cost. Scroll compressors, 850 RPM motors, large coil face area. I have the 2 ton version in my 1600sqft house and it will keep the indoors @ 75 when it's 100 outside.

I have yet to figure out why contractors seem unable to install correctly sized higher end HVAC units. 3.5tons AC (anybody else notice the 500sqft per ton rule being applied?) with 75,000BTU heat (since we oversized the AC, we need to get the 75k furnace for the larger blower) is overkill for a 1700sqft house in the gulf unless the house is 50% glass or leaks like a sieve. The oversizing basically destroys any benefit you get from buying the higher end equipment, energy bills and comfort are no better than if you would have selected smaller lower end equipment. Any energy savings you will see will be to the extent your old equipment was malfunctioning, if your old stuff was working properly right before it was replaced don't expect to see much reduction in energy costs.. If you notice the temperatures going up and down as the furnace or AC cycles and you always are fiddling with the thermostat to try and stay comfortable, those are symptoms over oversizing...

They took the 501 thermostat with them, so I don't have it here. Does the 501 stat have 4 or 5 wire connections? Does 501 stat have an "L" that can be tied to UAPM-JEZ "L" to provide "Indicator Diagnostic Lamp"?

I think they were trying to wire it up as a two stage condenser, instead of wiring it up as a single stage condenser with Y1 & Y2 jumpered at RGPE out to JEZ.

Quote Originally Posted by tripntx View Post
    They took the 501 thermostat with them, so I don't have it here. Does the 501 stat have 4 or 5 wire connections? Does 501 stat have an "L" that can be tied to UAPM-JEZ "L" to provide "Indicator Diagnostic Lamp"?

I think they were trying to wire it up as a two condenser, instead of wiring it up as a single stage condenser with Y1 & Y2 jumper-ed at RGPE out to JEZ.
    You have wire it in the communicating mode, "two wire mode" for the diagnostics board to work outside, or the legacy mode, and just add a transformer outside to keep the board powered.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

If its not wired in the communication mode, it will not communicate to the outside unit. The only benefit you might gain in communication mode is, reading trouble codes at the stat. even with legacy mode with the transformer installed outside, there will still be code readouts on the board outside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Thanks for all the replies BaldLoonie and Mr Bill have provided.

I understand what Mr Bill is saying about "two wire" method in comm mode, meaning: Y1 & Y2 jumpered on RGPE IFC to connect with Y1 on UAPM-JEZ, along with "C" between RGPE and UAPM connected together. 501 to RGPE using RC12 terminals.
    AND his other recommendation about legacy mode, along with keeping 24v power hot to board.

Does the 501 have a "L" terminal to display UAPM-JEZ faults?

BaldLoonie & Mr Bill, with the current setup I have (RGPE & UAPM-JEZ), will a 501 or other controller run the RGPE blower at a dehumidification slower speed even though my condenser unit is not a two stage? Does the 501 or other RUUD stat controllers have a stage dehumidication on demand out that could be placed on RGPE HUM STAT terminal (or other terminal)?

My dealer and his service tech are not familiar with connecting RGPE & UAPM-JEZ together. They have it connected to a simple thermostat, which is bugging me. Really wished I would have gotten involved before they removed the 501 so I could have seen what terminals it has and seen how everything was connected. Pretty sure I could get it going myself, I'm hoping they will return with the 501, and can provide them with some hints about wiring it properly with information from this forum.

Am I on the right thought process and direction or not? Is the 501 thermostat the proper stat to use with my setup?

Quote Originally Posted by tripntx View Post
    will a 501 or other controller run the RGPE blower at a dehumidification slower speed even though my condenser unit is not a two stage? Does the 501 or other RUUD stat controllers have a stage dehumidication on demand out that could be placed on RGPE HUM STAT terminal (or other terminal)?
    As for as i know the ECM 2+ motor which is the one that should be in your furnace, is not technically a variable speed motor, it does have factory "fixed" wire taps " I think about 5 different taps" that are set up from the factory for the two stage furnace. When one of these motors goes bad, normally it's the module, you just pull the module off the blower motor, take it to the distributor with model # and serial #, and they will program the replacement module there according to the model # and serial #of the furnace, and hand you the replacement module. For true de-humidification you would need a true variable speed furnace/blower and a 2 stage condenser, what you have is a basically a conventional system only with a two stage furnace. I don't think trying to attempt to slow a blower motor on a fixed BTU condenser would be a good idea. There might be a small cfm window that might be safe, but slowing the cfm's on a fixed btu condenser, you might damage the compressor, even though the scrolls are almost bullet proof, the risk is not worth the reward.I totally am on the same page with you on your mission, but without a "true" variable speed motor I don't think it can happen.

Quote Originally Posted by 54regcab View Post
    IMHO the 14AJM units are excellent for what they cost. Scroll compressors, 850 RPM motors, large coil face area. I have the 2 ton version in my 1600sqft house and it will keep the indoors @ 75 when it's 100 outside.

I have yet to figure out why contractors seem unable to install correctly sized higher end HVAC units. 3.5tons AC (anybody else notice the 500sqft per ton rule being applied?) with 75,000BTU heat (since we oversized the AC, we need to get the 75k furnace for the larger blower) is overkill for a 1700sqft house in the gulf unless the house is 50% glass or leaks like a sieve. The oversizing basically destroys any benefit you get from buying the higher end equipment, energy bills and comfort are no better than if you would have selected smaller lower end equipment. Any energy savings you will see will be to the extent your old equipment was malfunctioning, if your old stuff was working properly right before it was replaced don't expect to see much reduction in energy costs.. If you notice the temperatures going up and down as the furnace or AC cycles and you always are fiddling with the thermostat to try and stay comfortable, those are symptoms over oversizing...
    I agree the 14AJM is a nice unit for the money, but I wanted high & low pressure switches, hard start, and sealed contactors all factory installed with a 5 yr unit replacement if the pump goes out. I try to keep my home at 70 in summer when it's 112 outside and 90% humidity, but the previous lennox system couldn't keep up. After comparing previous duct install to what was just installed, it seems to me the lennox might have worked a lot better (in its younger years) if it had had proper duct work installed. Thanks for letting me know the symptoms of over sizing so I'll know whats going on if it starts to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    As for as i know the ECM 2+ motor which is the one that should be in your furnace, is not technically a variable speed motor, it does have factory "fixed" wire taps " I think about 5 different taps" that are set up from the factory for the two stage furnace. When one of these motors goes bad, normally it's the module, you just pull the module off the blower motor, take it to the distributor with model # and serial #, and they will program the replacement module there according to the model # and serial #of the furnace, and hand you the replacement module. For true de-humidification you would need a true variable speed furnace/blower and a 2 stage condenser, what you have is a basically a conventional system only with a two stage furnace. I don't think trying to attempt to slow a blower motor on a fixed BTU condenser would be a good idea. There might be a small cfm window that might be safe, but slowing the cfm's on a fixed btu condenser, you might damage the compressor, even though the scrolls are almost bullet proof, the risk is not worth the reward.I totally am on the same page with you on your mission, but without a "true" variable speed motor I don't think it can happen.
    Mr Bill, I just noticed you are from Houston. Which side? How far away are you from Angleton?
    Thanks for previous info,
    Tripntx

Just keep in mind as you are trying to control the humidity with blower cfm changes that the 3.5ton unit in a 1700 sq ft house is the root cause of the humidity issues. Humidity issues are also what is a big part of your 70 degree setpoint. 70 is cold in summer if humidity is well controlled

Since you do want a 40+ degree split in tempatures a 3.5 ton unit is probably the right answer. Just don't expect low power bills..

Quote Originally Posted by 54regcab View Post
    Since you do want a 40+ degree split in tempatures a 3.5 ton unit is probably the right answer. Just don't expect low power bills..
    I hear ya, was used to $430 a month balanced billing 12 months a year with reliant before prices dropping before 15c kw 2 yrs ago.

The RGPE motor is variable speed and sets with DIP switches to the desired CFM. Not like an X13 which has taps and a table for CFM based on static pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    The RGPE motor is variable speed and sets with DIP switches to the desired CFM. Not like an X13 which has taps and a table for CFM based on static pressure.
    You right! hardly any company's in Houston sell RGPE's is why I was not quite sure, but after doing a little research/studying on Rheemote last night, I saw it was the ECM 2+ motor and read all about it. Still from looking at the whole wiring diagram on the furnace and motor wiring, it gives little details on wiring the RGPE for humidity control, and don't even know if it would be wise with a UAPM series. I even went to a class on the RGPE along with a few other products not to long ago, guess I sleep through the whole 10 minutes they spent on that furnace I guess they considered the market. After a little more investigation, it says it's compatible with single or two-stage thermostat. (For optimal performance, two-stage thermostat recommended.) so my guess is, the thermostat/brain controls the blower speed in cool mode somehow, maybe by signal type commutation. It's almost unheard of to see these type setups in Houston, "two speed" anything, so the classes we get here, the instruction is vague, and this is probably why the contractor had issues on the wiring the system with the 500 series stat, so it's mfg. instruction fault as much as the contractor. It's sad the market controls the education "somewhat" as it does here, now you want to talk 14.5 seer UAPM and a standard 80% furnace? I could write you a book and wire one of those blindfolded. Investing in a RGPE with a UAPM condenser, as cheap as gas is, and what little use for heat we have in Houston/Texas, would be like buying a Kenworth to pull your canoe.
    Last edited by Mr Bill; 12-23-2012 at 09:54 AM.

Once again though, excellent choice on the equipment, you "should" get many years of worry free comfort, if it was installed correctly.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast