Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

advice RUUD 14AJM value series vs UAPM JAZ and JEZ series.

Shopping for new AC and furnace near Tx Gulf Coast. Four contractors have came by my house and are writing quotes today. They are all recommending 3 ton RUDD 14AJM value series AC. I've asked all of them about upgrading to UAPM JAZ or JEZ, and they have all indicated 14AJM is what they prefer to install. It has been very apparent that none of them desire to discuss much less sell and install a JAZ or JEZ ac. My HM is paid for, and we plan on staying in it another 20 yrs. I believe they all want to install RPGN 80% furnace. Is the 14AJM the proper unit for my area.
    Hm is approx 1700 sq ft, replacing 18 yr old Lennox ac and furnace.

Three of the contractors gave price quote's today, but they only listed series 14AJM condenser. None of the three listed which coil or furnace would be used, and none of them did any calculations. Two listed 3 ton, and one listed 3.5 ton as the condensers. These three are supposed to be very good installers.

Fourth contractor went around house yesterday counting and measuring windows, then measured exterior dimensions of living area, but wouldn't say at the time which tonnage to use, that he had to enter data at his office. Today he provided me with a quote for: 3.5 Ton 14AJM condenser, Furnace RGPS which he said would use 4 ton coil RCFL-HM4821; and offered one upgrade to RGPN furnace with same coil for a very small price increase.

He can provide upgrade to furnace RGPE with FCFN-HM4824 coil, althoug it would increase cost by a grand.

He does great work, several of my friends and I have used him in the past, but he isn't used to customers requesting better equipment than what he quotes. I've asked him to find out how much the price will increase to use a furnace with X-13 Blower or variable speed blower. This contractor will install properly, which is why I want to use him, but he isn't up to speed on matching up combinations or even of all the different series available.

Which series does Ruud start offering X-13 Blower? Which series have variable blower, other than RGPT? I'm located near Lake Jackson TX, 60 miles SW of Houston and 20 miles from Gulf of Mexico. Any and all advice is welcomed and appreciated.

Too many homeowners only look dollar so most dealers go in with cheap equipment. Our company only sold deluxe stuff til the last few years, now it is builder models like the Rheem cubes and RGPS furnaces. I much prefer the UAPM even with the JAZ level as it has pressure protection switches. I hate seeing 410 equipment with no protection against high pressure or loss of charge.

The RGPT single stage is lowest price X13 from Rheem. Those (X13) haven't been holding up that well. I think I'd want the RGPE variable speed with a control that does dehumidify on demand in your climate.

Thanks for taking the time to reply BaldLoonie. This contractor (#4) is willing to upgrade to RGPE furnace, but is it really a $ more MSRP than RGPS?
    Contractor #4 has only been installing 14AJM condensers because he says "KISS" (keep it simple stupid) eliminates some failure points. He's early to mid 40's, so he will be around here a while. Should I talk him into upgrading from 14AJM to UAPM JAZ? How much should I expect MSRP to rise over AJM? I not asking for dealer cost, so hopefully this request doesn’t violate rules.

Contractors # 1, 2, and 3 are all in their early 60's, plenty of experience, and do quality work. None of them are interested in upgrading to premium style condensers and/or furnaces. One of them flat out said he didn't like the condenser layout design on UAPM compared to value series cube. He felt the cube is a better design. I don't care for the other 6 contractors I have checked out.

As far as myself, I'm retired USAF SMSgt with Aircraft Electrical background. My new career is maintaining Analyzers, such as Siemens Maxum GC and Yokogowa ICOS for DOW Chemical. I know how to troubleshoot my current Lennox to make minor repairs and have performed the following repairs: capacitors, relay contactor, furnace fan motor, and even had to order and replace the cheap circuit board on the GM24 twice in the past; I wash out condenser every spring and oil bearings. I prefer techs to perform annual checks such as: refrigerant pressure check, temp ck on lines, amp draw, etc.
    Last edited by beenthere; 12-22-2012 at 06:17 AM. Reason: price

There is a healthy premium for the RGPE over the RGPS. Can't really talk specifics. Same with the difference between 14AJM and RAPM-JAZ. There isn't really more to go wrong with the better unit, it just adds pressure protection and the easy to work on design. Pretty rare to hear someone like the cube. Even non Rheem fans like the rectangle for ease of access to controls and compressor.

Thank you, I'll talk to my contractor today to see about upgrading to UAPM-JAZ with RGPE. If too cost prohibitve, for both, then I'll go with RGPE and 14AJM to get variable fan and dehumidify opinion.

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise, commentary or ask the OP questions here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by beenthere; 12-19-2012 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Non Pro * Member

Mark Ary, this is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Your post has been deleted.
    Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Went with Contractor #4. Told him I would pay cash, so he checked with distributor this morning, and offered me one heck of a deal on the following:
    UAPM-042JEZ Condensing Unit
    RGPE-07EBRQR Furnace
    RCFL-HM4821CC Evaporator Coil
    Touch Screen with Dehumidifier
    R-8 FlexDuct

Install starts Friday morning.

Need a little wiring help please.

UAPM JEZ and RGPE furnace was installed today. They connected them to a 501 series thermostat. Furnace worked, but Condensing unit never received call for cool. Techs couldn't figure out how to make it work, so then installed my old thermo (honeywell th6110d1021), and plan to return next week with what ever RUUD controller they are supposed to use to make variable fans and dehumification work.

Will the 501 series thermostat work with UAPM JEZ? If so, how is supposed be wired?

That will work and is clearly addressed in the installation manual if they will get it out and look at it.

Quote Originally Posted by tripntx View Post
    .Will the 501 series thermostat work with UAPM JEZ? If so, how is supposed be wired?
    You made an excellent purchase "of course I am a Ruud dealer" but why did you only go half way? the outdoor unit is a single stage, with the with the board in it. You have a system that only will provide Diagnostic readouts "with the 500 series stat" by communicating back and forth. We wire the UAPM's in the legacy mode, and you can add a transformer in the outdoor unit to provide constant power to the condenser board so you don't loose any trouble codes, when the stat is satisfied and kills the low voltage power to the board outdoors. if you don't add the transformer you get a few minute delay on condenser start-up when system calls for cool. If you have the right tech out there "like me" you can cover up all the blinking trouble code lights with electrical tape, and I can still figure it our in probably the same time or less. Again, you made a great purchase, and if it were a 16 seer 2 speed system you would benefit from all the communication features. Ruud really just need to toss the board in the UAPM and go back to the conventional contactor setup, in my opinion there is no benefit in having the board in that model unit.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast