Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 14 to 19 of 19
  1. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Cincinnati ohio
    Posts
    252
    Quote Originally Posted by kirwinjd View Post
    Thanks for your information. Ill pass it on to the manager at United Refrigeration.
    So frustrating (and costly) when you drive a long distance to fix a leak and finding out after you get there, your new leak detector doesnt work. Murphys Law at its finest.
    That is exactly why I didn't mess around with sending mine back and bought one that was highly rated. I went to multiple leak search calls and basically looked like an idiot because I was unable to do the job. Just an FYI the robinaire and field piece infrared leak detector are exactly the same but robinaire is cheaper and red instead of yellow.

  2. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Fullerton
    Posts
    770
    Quote Originally Posted by 2141 View Post
    That is exactly why I didn't mess around with sending mine back and bought one that was highly rated. I went to multiple leak search calls and basically looked like an idiot because I was unable to do the job. Just an FYI the robinaire and field piece infrared leak detector are exactly the same but robinaire is cheaper and red instead of yellow.
    The Robinair is not exactly the same as the Fieldpeice. The Robinair is specially designed for use in automotive which makes it less sensitive to some of the refrigerants in HVAC. While this may be negligible in most HVAC cases it's possible you won't find a leak in an HVAC setting if you choose the Robinair. And depending on where you are looking they are nearly identical in price. Both Leak Detectors are a Fieldpiece design and not a Robinair design.

  3. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Citrus County, Florida
    Posts
    1,490
    I have 3 Tek-mates. No problems with R12, R134a, R22. When it says there is a leak, it is correct. I do however, use an H10pm to verify and have also used the Fieldpiece infared to verify. For R410. I use the H10pm and the Fieldpiece. The FP works great for R410. Bubble search localizes the leak.
    Doug

  4. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Ventura, CA
    Posts
    34
    Great. Thanks for making the distinction between the two

  5. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Cincinnati ohio
    Posts
    252
    Quote Originally Posted by RussellHarju View Post
    The Robinair is not exactly the same as the Fieldpeice. The Robinair is specially designed for use in automotive which makes it less sensitive to some of the refrigerants in HVAC. While this may be negligible in most HVAC cases it's possible you won't find a leak in an HVAC setting if you choose the Robinair. And depending on where you are looking they are nearly identical in price. Both Leak Detectors are a Fieldpiece design and not a Robinair design.
    I wasnt trying to give false information. I must have misunderstood when I was researching these leak detectors. My understanding was that the Robinair was marketed towards the automotive field and the fieldpiece was marketed towards hvac. I know the patent numbers are the same, both are capable of detecting cfc, hfc, hcfc and react to all refrigerants the same. Now I may be wrong but it seems the only difference is marketing. Robinair is well known in the automotive/hvac industries where fieldpiece is more hvac specific, so to me it makes sense.

  6. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Fullerton
    Posts
    770
    Quote Originally Posted by 2141 View Post
    I wasnt trying to give false information. I must have misunderstood when I was researching these leak detectors. My understanding was that the Robinair was marketed towards the automotive field and the fieldpiece was marketed towards hvac. I know the patent numbers are the same, both are capable of detecting cfc, hfc, hcfc and react to all refrigerants the same. Now I may be wrong but it seems the only difference is marketing. Robinair is well known in the automotive/hvac industries where fieldpiece is more hvac specific, so to me it makes sense.
    There are differences in the actual chips of each. They do fall under the same patent but that doesn't mean they can't be tweaked to work better depending on the industry they were designed for. If you are primarily in HVAC get the Fieldpeice if you are primarily in Automotive get the Robinair. Simple as that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event