Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by kirwinjd View Post
    Thanks for your information. Ill pass it on to the manager at United Refrigeration.
    So frustrating (and costly) when you drive a long distance to fix a leak and finding out after you get there, your new leak detector doesnt work. Murphys Law at its finest.
    That is exactly why I didn't mess around with sending mine back and bought one that was highly rated. I went to multiple leak search calls and basically looked like an idiot because I was unable to do the job. Just an FYI the robinaire and field piece infrared leak detector are exactly the same but robinaire is cheaper and red instead of yellow.

Quote Originally Posted by 2141 View Post
    That is exactly why I didn't mess around with sending mine back and bought one that was highly rated. I went to multiple leak search calls and basically looked like an idiot because I was unable to do the job. Just an FYI the robinaire and field piece infrared leak detector are exactly the same but robinaire is cheaper and red instead of yellow.
    The Robinair is not exactly the same as the Fieldpeice. The Robinair is specially designed for use in automotive which makes it less sensitive to some of the refrigerants in HVAC. While this may be negligible in most HVAC cases it's possible you won't find a leak in an HVAC setting if you choose the Robinair. And depending on where you are looking they are nearly identical in price. Both Leak Detectors are a Fieldpiece design and not a Robinair design.

I have 3 Tek-mates. No problems with R12, R134a, R22. When it says there is a leak, it is correct. I do however, use an H10pm to verify and have also used the Fieldpiece infared to verify. For R410. I use the H10pm and the Fieldpiece. The FP works great for R410. Bubble search localizes the leak.
    Doug

Great. Thanks for making the distinction between the two

Quote Originally Posted by RussellHarju View Post
    The Robinair is not exactly the same as the Fieldpeice. The Robinair is specially designed for use in automotive which makes it less sensitive to some of the refrigerants in HVAC. While this may be negligible in most HVAC cases it's possible you won't find a leak in an HVAC setting if you choose the Robinair. And depending on where you are looking they are nearly identical in price. Both Leak Detectors are a Fieldpiece design and not a Robinair design.
    I wasnt trying to give false information. I must have misunderstood when I was researching these leak detectors. My understanding was that the Robinair was marketed towards the automotive field and the fieldpiece was marketed towards hvac. I know the patent numbers are the same, both are capable of detecting cfc, hfc, hcfc and react to all refrigerants the same. Now I may be wrong but it seems the only difference is marketing. Robinair is well known in the automotive/hvac industries where fieldpiece is more hvac specific, so to me it makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by 2141 View Post
    I wasnt trying to give false information. I must have misunderstood when I was researching these leak detectors. My understanding was that the Robinair was marketed towards the automotive field and the fieldpiece was marketed towards hvac. I know the patent numbers are the same, both are capable of detecting cfc, hfc, hcfc and react to all refrigerants the same. Now I may be wrong but it seems the only difference is marketing. Robinair is well known in the automotive/hvac industries where fieldpiece is more hvac specific, so to me it makes sense.
    There are differences in the actual chips of each. They do fall under the same patent but that doesn't mean they can't be tweaked to work better depending on the industry they were designed for. If you are primarily in HVAC get the Fieldpeice if you are primarily in Automotive get the Robinair. Simple as that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12