Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 28
  1. #1

    Hmm Continue working for HVAC contractor or branch out and apply to local union?

    I have been working as a helper or apprentice with my dad who is a licensed HVAC contractor since June. I have also been attending a HVAC training program at my community college/training center since September. I am enrolled in a 12 month HVAC program which follows the curriculum of the NCCER. I wish I could see the future and know which path would be the better of the two. In the long run a union job would provide me a retirement package, benefits, and a great salary, my dad plans to retire in 4-5 years. As of now we are growing the business: have a website, doing local advertising, working with 3 different insurance companies etc. Anyone ever been faced in a similar dilemma? When you run your own business everything falls on your shoulders, and right now I have been acting as the apprentice, administrative assistant, accounts payable, etc...but the business does have it own perks. Any insight..

    -plus me and my old man bump heads alot, and its frustrating.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Altmar, New York, United States
    Posts
    4,980
    it does have it's perks but alot of headache comes with it. do you have employees?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    2,720
    Stay put and get all the experience you can. If you can't get along with your own pops you will probably have trouble wherever you go. Remember this, and I speak from experience, wherever you go there YOU are.,

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by snupytcb View Post
    it does have it's perks but alot of headache comes with it. do you have employees?
    well in the summer we had 1-2 guys who are able to work with us, mainly guys retired, they have known my dad for 20+ years and have 20+ years experience. They want to stay busy and they will lead a job or pick up a side call here or there, but as for employee's just me. I have a buddy who is in tech school, hopefully in a couple years he could jump right in and we could sub out work, but for the foreseeable future its just me and dad.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by toocoolforschool View Post
    Stay put and get all the experience you can. If you can't get along with your own pops you will probably have trouble wherever you go. Remember this, and I speak from experience, wherever you go there YOU are.,
    Thanks too cool, I will consider it.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Altmar, New York, United States
    Posts
    4,980
    do you ever look forward to running the business? for me it was something i always wanted to do. my friend had a business and for the most part had "my area" locked . when he told me he was selling, i saw an oppertunity and acted. it worked out very well for me. i think more timing than anything else. it's funny cause when i told him i was moving my biz he started up again. if it is something you look forward to you should give it a try. i believe most everyone should try it.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    3,603
    Be open and honest with your Dad, notice I didn't say to not respect him. If he's truly going to retire in just a few years, then you'd be in the right place with experience to "take over" once he goes. I have a son in my business, and sometimes we don't see "eye to eye" however he's coming along and has almost all his certifications. Just hang in there and sit down in a year or so to have a serious heart to heart with Dad and feel him out. You need to start making some plans for the business. And you DON'T want to end up your Dad's age and be the only employee. That's not a valid "retirement" plan in my book! Be respectfully honest with him about your concerns and fears! Hang in there!
    Remember, Patience is a virtue, seldom possessed by the young!!

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by wahoo View Post
    Be open and honest with your Dad, notice I didn't say to not respect him. If he's truly going to retire in just a few years, then you'd be in the right place with experience to "take over" once he goes. I have a son in my business, and sometimes we don't see "eye to eye" however he's coming along and has almost all his certifications. Just hang in there and sit down in a year or so to have a serious heart to heart with Dad and feel him out. You need to start making some plans for the business. And you DON'T want to end up your Dad's age and be the only employee. That's not a valid "retirement" plan in my book! Be respectfully honest with him about your concerns and fears! Hang in there!
    Remember, Patience is a virtue, seldom possessed by the young!!
    Thanks man those are some good words of advice. Well my dad worked for 30 years for a large company. In January he retired and started this company, and in June I joined him. I appreciate the advice, thanks. What certifications is your son working on? I am about to sit for the EPA EXAM? I also want to prepare in 1-2 yrs to take the journeyman, in my state you need to graduate from a certificate or diploma program before being eligible which is why I am enrolled in a 12 month program.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by snupytcb View Post
    do you ever look forward to running the business? for me it was something i always wanted to do. my friend had a business and for the most part had "my area" locked . when he told me he was selling, i saw an oppertunity and acted. it worked out very well for me. i think more timing than anything else. it's funny cause when i told him i was moving my biz he started up again. if it is something you look forward to you should give it a try. i believe most everyone should try it.
    Yea I have always wanted to be my own boss. I believe a 9-5 is for the birds.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    3,603
    He finished a bachelor's degree in business about 2 1/2 years ago, and went job hunting (but had very few offers), so came home and went to work with me. He's got his EPA and LP gas certifcation along with his journeyman's license. I've still got a couple of technical school classes that I think he needs to take along with a NATE class or two. But he's really handy around the office also. He just needs more field experience and maturity in dealing with situations. Overall, though he's doing fine.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by wahoo View Post
    He finished a bachelor's degree in business about 2 1/2 years ago, and went job hunting (but had very few offers), so came home and went to work with me. He's got his EPA and LP gas certifcation along with his journeyman's license. I've still got a couple of technical school classes that I think he needs to take along with a NATE class or two. But he's really handy around the office also. He just needs more field experience and maturity in dealing with situations. Overall, though he's doing fine.
    WOW thats sounds great! What was the process in your state to sit for the journeyman? I never heard of a LP gas certification, I just know for gas you need a master gasfitters to install a furnace.. Is the Nate something he just doing to help advance his own career? I want to order some Nate study material personally. Congrats on you and your son!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,212
    Quote Originally Posted by sto2299001 View Post
    Yea I have always wanted to be my own boss. I believe a 9-5 is for the birds.
    It's good you feel this way because when you own your own business it's 24/7/365 for quite some time. The upside potential is large, but it doesn't come without sacrifice. Some sacrifice their hobbies/free time, others sacrifice their health, others sacrifice their families...make sure the sacrifice you make is temporary and you own the business the business doesn't own you.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New York, ny
    Posts
    203
    I had a pizzeria restaurant with my father and we bumped head all the time. so one day after a huge fight we had, I put the restaurant for sale. I was always handy so decided to go back to school and ended upin school learning about hvac. I finished the associate and went into the field worked for a union company for about four years then moved on to another union company for another three.. through out all this I used to take service calls only in refrigeration, cause the company I worked for was commercial ac only.

    to get to the point I know own my own company and I have my father working with me from time to time....if I was you I would defiantly take th opportunity to learn from someone that only wants the best for you.. I just hope you love the work. love challenging yourself. cause this field will always have challenging days.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event