+ Reply to Thread

Thread: poll barn or basement?

Post Likes

poll barn or basement?

i am designing my new house to hopefuly build in the spring. i am torn between a basement or a pollbarn. they will both cost around the same to build. i have thought about both but i want to do this without a mortgage and at this time i can only cover one or the other. i would like a basement to raise the value of the house and for more room. but i need a barn for storage because i have 3 businesses. i have a shop for but it's 40 miles away and kind of hard to work out of. i would love to bring all my stuff up here. i am leaning toward a 30 by 30 barn. what would you do?

Post Likes
    A basement turns into a junk pit in a hurry, do a house on slab with in floor and save money on time and parts. I have a full basement and really only use it for storage and mainly stuff that should be in the dump. I'd rather have a pole barn.

Post Likes
    It costs less to add a pole barn later than it does to add a basement, later. The basement will have value from the beginning.

Pick the basement then add the pole barn next year
    If sense were so common everyone would have it !
    You cannot protect the Stupid from themselves !
    "Experience is the ability to recognize a mistake Before you make it again!" (Stolen Quote)

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Cagey57 View Post
    It costs less to add a pole barn later than it does to add a basement, later. The basement will have value from the beginning.

Pick the basement then add the pole barn next year
    i agree. i wonder if the barn would add close to the value of a basement.

Post Likes
    A basement is a great place to put your heating system, water heater, washer-dryer, dehumidifier, circuit breaker box, tornado shelter, small workshop, extra bedroom, extra bathroom, office, freezer, pantry, extra cupboards and closets. And most of these are things you can add as you need them. How many of these would you rather put in a pole barn, or cram in a closet or attic?

Five or ten years from now, would you rather have regrets or options?
    Vacuum Technology:
    CRUD = Contamination Resulting in Undesirable Deposits.
    CRAPP = Contamination Resulting in Additional Partial Pressure.

Change your vacuum pump oil now.

Test. Testing, 1,2,3.

Post Likes
    basement now, pole barn in the future.

and go bigger, mines 42x48 and full of stuff.......

Post Likes
    I have a basement, and it's useless. Of course it's poorly finished, poorly heated, and full of junk.

I do think a basement would add more value to the place, even if it's unfinished. If you're never planning on moving that might change your opinion though.

I say go big tho... think outside the box!
    Put a basement under the house. Then in a few years build yourself a nice polebarn... with a partial basement under one side of it too. Then you can put a tunnel between the 2 basements!
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by amickracing View Post
    I have a basement, and it's useless. Of course it's poorly finished, poorly heated, and full of junk.

I do think a basement would add more value to the place, even if it's unfinished. If you're never planning on moving that might change your opinion though.

I say go big tho... think outside the box!
    Put a basement under the house. Then in a few years build yourself a nice polebarn... with a partial basement under one side of it too. Then you can put a tunnel between the 2 basements!
    i love it!!! i don't see the tunnel happening though. but it is something i will absolutely look into.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in