New Filter to replace 1 inch filters...Input please.

I saw these HDR 4 1/2 inch deep pleated filters just out by Flanders when I was in Lowes buying the Energy Aire 20xx20x1 filters for my Trane 3 1/2 ton system dual fuel. I have been following the advice of people on this forum using a low merv rating but high enough to cut down on the dust in my air/house. The regular filters I have been using are rated 7. One person recommended I use the green Natural Aire from Home Depot, rated 8. I am using both. I have three returns. Do you think these new deep filters that fit into the same compartment as the regular filters would be advantageous OR would they put too much strain on my system.
    As a check, do you think what I have been using is too much strain on my system as is? Two 20x20x1 returns and one 10X20X1.

http://flandersfilters.com/products/air-cleaners/

Quote Originally Posted by Bentonville View Post
    I saw these HDR 4 1/2 inch deep pleated filters just out by Flanders when I was in Lowes buying the Energy Aire 20xx20x1 filters for my Trane 3 1/2 ton system dual fuel. I have been following the advice of people on this forum using a low merv rating but high enough to cut down on the dust in my air/house. The regular filters I have been using are rated 7. One person recommended I use the green Natural Aire from Home Depot, rated 8. I am using both. I have three returns. Do you think these new deep filters that fit into the same compartment as the regular filters would be advantageous OR would they put too much strain on my system.
    As a check, do you think what I have been using is too much strain on my system as is? Two 20x20x1 returns and one 10X20X1.

http://flandersfilters.com/products/air-cleaners/
    1000 square inches ( ~ 7 square feet) of 1" filter is better than most. I would not use more than MERV 7 FOR 1".
    3.5 TON =~ 1,400 CFM or 1,400 CFM/ 7 Sq Ft = 200 FPM.

Recommended < 300 FPM

4" is a huge increase in filter area AND would be VERY Little pressure drop ( ... significantly decreasing strain, in your terms).
    MERV 8 could be used.

Use of the 4" filter would allow you to change once a year.
    You could Vacuum every other month.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

x2 on the media filter. once ducts & returns are sealed up
    putting a better filter is the next step. good investment IMO.
    I recommend media filters to all my clients.

best of luck
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

Is the Media Filter the new HDR by Flanders which is pleated and 4 1/2 inches thick. It just pushes into the normal grill where the 1 inch filter normally fits. Thanks a lot for the input. A lot of nice folks here!

difference between locating media filter in filter grill vs at the blower...none that I know of.
    if there is...someone will let us know!
    Name:  uv light & mold growth.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  46.3 KB
    as for the uv light..I think a better use of $$ & time is to mastic seal ducts & seal
    return air tight.
    uv lights work..as long as they can reach mold.

attached is a pic of a supply plenum prior to changing it out.
    note minimum of mold where uv light shines & max of mold
    where it doesn't. the problem here was that take offs for ducts
    & plenum connection to equipment wasn't very well sealed.
    moisture (condensation)...food source(dirt from air leaks) = mold.
    changed plenum(s) & most of flex duct on this job.
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

What's the difference with the filter at the Return Air grill?

NOT Much, but the return air Duct IS Cleaner.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities