Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Dang you guys have some big thumbs! When I first started this full time a few years ago the rot was 600sqft for older home and 800sqft for newer energy star homes. But with manual J I have done new custom homes with as much windows than wall area and have to install 600 or less per ton, with multiple or zoned systems on one floor because heat gain was so much higher at one end of house the duct system was crazy or temp differance was to high. At the same time I get an older home with more infiltration but 1 small window per bedroom and low ceilings and almost square so minimal parameter that calls for closer to 800. But even with out wrightsoft 100k btu heat and 4 Ton cooling is way to much. As was said, a warning is when you have to pay for the equipment for the contractor up front!

santacruz714

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.

Quote Originally Posted by agogodaddyo View Post
    Thx for the reply duckman. There is no system in the house at present.
    From my discussions with neighbors, it seems those with similar size and construction have 3.5 to 4 ton systems.

Insullation, including windows is good. Would you also please comment on the furnace size. I do appreciate your comments on the 4 ton, but what concerns me even more is that the supplier would recommend a 5 ton 100k furnace.

Jeff
    The supplier would be quite happy to sell you
    a 5.0 ton in 2013,
    a 4.0 ton in 2014,
    a 3.5 ton in 2015,
    a 3.0 ton in 2016,

That way you'll know and have First_Hand_Experience on which none or one you like Best.

___ Plea$$$$$$$e check back in 2017.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Quote Originally Posted by duckman06 View Post
    You can have let's say (5) homes that are all 1600 square foot that might require different sized equipment due the above listed things. There is no one size fits all for hvac equipment.

Example my home is a little over 1700 square foot and I heat and cool it with (2.5) ton heat pump with no problems.
    AND I assume it fits your pocketbook well if your equipment fits your house well.
    Location?

Electric Bills per month?
    as low as $60 ? -- shoulder seasons
    _ High __ $130?
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

2 ton heat pump.

3 ton 2 stage if you want faster recovery and higher bills. Abandon the gas meter and bill.
    Which makes more sense to you?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

DO THE NUMBERS! Step on a HOMESCALE.
    What is comfort? Well, it AIN'T just TEMPERATURE!

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

Why did the "contractor" take you with him to supply house? I've been in this trade for over 30 years and NEVER taken a customer to a supply house and for sure never had a counter person size a unit!!! Sounds like you are dealing with a moonlighting newby to me!! I suppose he also wants you to pay for equipment upfront? LOTS of ringing "look out" bells here!!! Run Forest....run.

Quote Originally Posted by wahoo View Post
    Why did the "contractor" take you with him to supply house? I've been in this trade for over 30 years and NEVER taken a customer to a supply house and for sure never had a counter person size a unit!!! Sounds like you are dealing with a moonlighting newby to me!! I suppose he also wants you to pay for equipment upfront? LOTS of ringing "look out" bells here!!! Run Forest....run.
    I agree, I was thinking the same thing too..

You need to open the phonebook and get a good dealer that does the Manual-J Calc on YOUR home.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12