Thread: Matching outside unit to Payne Indoor air handler

Post Likes

Matching outside unit to Payne Indoor air handler

We bought this house in Dec 2011 and it came with a home warranty. Needless to say, I have learned these home warranties are pretty useless when it comes to older systems. All they do is put band aids on it and they never fix it completely. Over the past 2 months, I have had the home warranty contractor out 6 times working on my upstairs heat pump. The inside air handler unit is a Payne Model # PF1MNC025 and the outside heat pump unit is an Amana unit that is at least 18 years old. Back to the home warranty contractor. After the 2nd visit, they recommended to the home warranty people that the outside unit be replaced because it wasn't compatible with the indoor unit & thermostat (the technicians words). Well, the home warranty folks decided to send another contractor out and after 4 visits they have determined that the outside unit needs replaced. Just to make sure they don't try to just put a band aid on it again, I decided to call a reputable HVAC contractor locally and have him come out and look at my system(s) and give me an estimate on replacing. He tells me that he cannot replace the outside unit without replacing the inside unit as well because they won't match up and it will void the warranty on the outside unit. He also said it would violate state board rules in Alabama to mismatch the units. This sort of contradicts what the home warranty people are telling me as they are giving me an estimate on replacing only the condensing unit outside. I have another contractor coming out tomorrow to give me an estimate and I want to see if he says the same thing about having to replace both. My question is, Is there an outside unit that will match up to the Payne inside unit referenced above. The label on the Payne indoor unit says it was manufactured in 2009.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated as I know very little about HVAC units.

Thanks in advance.

Post Likes
    Payne makes a Dry shipped unit that will math up.

Post Likes
    Thanks for the response. I'm going to see what the guy coming out tomorrow to give me an destination says.

Post Likes
    Do you know the model # on the dry shipped unit?

Post Likes
    I have had 3 different HVAC contractors come out and all 3 of them have told me they could not replace just the outside unit. I don't know if they are just salesmen trying to sell my a complete unit or not. Two of them have said that it would be against state codes to just replace the outside unit because it wouldn't match up with the inside unit and that it would violate the manufacturer's warranty on the outside unit. I'm looking for some ammunition to argue my case with AHS to try and get them to pay for replacing both inside and outside unit. Am I barking up the wrong tree here?

Post Likes
    Don't know the mod number.

Contact a Payne dealer.

Carrier dealer should be able to help you out also.

Post Likes
    I finally got the warranty contractor to give me the model number for the condensing unit: PH13NR02400G. After looking at all of the documentation I could find on the PH13NR, it looks as though the PF1MNC025 air handler unit is compatible with this condensing unit. Does this sound correct?

Post Likes
    Probably is a match. A Payne dealer can verify it.

Post Likes
    that is a correct match. complete m/n is ph13nr024000

Post Likes
    Thanks for all the info folks!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in