Looking for opinion. Less than 10 yr old forced hot air oil burner. It starts, gets to 130 degrees, fan kicks on. as it cools and gets near 80deg. it satarts to sputter and the burner just goes out the fan will still blow.
    Has a brand new fan/limit. clean out by heat exchanger was cleaned. Input appreciated!

Possible cracked heat exchanger.

Call a tech to inspect it.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Oil burner sputtering after a few minutes of run time usually means a clogged oil filter or oil line or pump strainer or a combination of all three.
    As far as cracked heat exchangers go a positive fire oil burner with a cracked heat exchanger won't necessarily cause a sputtering.
    It will cause a very high over fire pressure in the burner box and sooting, but the burner will probably continue to run.

[Edited by oil lp man on 11-25-2006 at 04:54 PM]

He said when it starts to cool back down.

I took this for the first fan cycle.

Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

My input..........

call a oil burner technician to come out and diagnose the problem. If you have a cracked heat exchanger, this is not a condition that you want to put off.
    KX500......the original big green meanie

Hmm

I agree with lp man sounds like starvation for fuel!! A crack will not usually cause the burner to shut down but will cause a lot of sooting and high temp over flame with pressurization of chamber sometimes. Anyway you look at it a service call is in order..
    heattech

If it hasnt worked properly since you serviced it last then why did it take the customer 2 years to complain??

I've seen simular events with water in the oil --- have your tech dbl ck.

You didn't say if the burner would come back on by itself once it'd done this. If it does then the problem SHOULDN'T be with anything dealing with the oil or the burner itself. The safety control on the oil burners are designed to be a one time shot requiring manual reset if it detects a problem with the operation of the burner. This reset should only be done by a qualified service person as fuel oil has the capability, under certain circumstances, to cause rather impressive explosions with parts flying off the furnace.
    In any case you need to call a qualified oil service company to come out and give your entire system a good going over.

I put off changing the filter for the tank shut off valve was screwed. Fixed that today, changed filter and replaced nozzle and BINGO so far so good..... she's running!
    Thanks all who spent the time to stop by my post. Your opinions had me decide to start with the easiest fix first.
    Cheers!