Trane XR15 External fan noise

Had this unit installed in November. Immediately began hearing noise from the external fan. In the house it sounds like a single cylinder engine starting and running outside - my wife calls it the snowblower! It is mounted on aluminum brackets attached to the cement foundation, but the sound is produced by the fan blade. Outside the noise is very evident also - neighbours are complaining. The installer who has 30 years in business assures me this is normal noise for this unit. My contention is that if this is normal, I am not a happy customer and cannot believe Trane would design and manufacture such a product for residential use. The fan has 2 large sharply pitched blades. The noise is not from the motor but rather the blade slap against the air. Does anyone have a suggestion? Thanks!

The XR15's that I have installed are generally pretty quiet.

Do you have a smart phone? There is an app for the IPhone/Droid called decibel 10th. It measures decibel ratings. Download it and go stand about 2 ft. from your outdoor unit. Report back with results.

I'm guessing that's a swept wing fan blade. Those are normally virtually inaudible.

I have installed 100's of XR15 units and for that matter have one in my home. With that said the noises you are hearing per your response is not normal.

The XR15 line is a budget friendly XL15 with a little more decibels but should not be anything like what you are saying!

By chance is it a heat pump? What does your installer say besides it is normal? Has he done anything to try to help with the nosie?

Also the noise you say sounds like the blade is slaping the air? If this is correct installer might need to look at the fan motor and ensure it is not running backwards or something along those lines.

Has the system all ways sounded like this? Call your installer and ask for Trane Feild rep to come out with lead installer. This way they can get the bottom of the problem and hopefully come up with a solution to correct the issue!

Thank you for the responses. I will check the decibels later today and post the results. As for the fan, not being an expert, the blades rotate in a clockwise direction and appears to be what I would call swept wing. When I place my hand on the plate covering the fan motor, there is no discernible vibration but I can feel the pulsing of the air being pushed through the top of the unit. The installer initially ordered a replacement fan and blades but now says there would be no point in installing the same fan and blades as this noise is normal. He said he will try to get a 3 or 4 blade fan to see if this makes a difference.

Quote Originally Posted by tgiber View Post
    He said he will try to get a 3 or 4 blade fan to see if this makes a difference.
    This doesn't sound like such a great idea. That system is engineered and designed to operate with the current style fan blade. Changing the blade will change the whole system. It has the possibility of raising the head pressure which will effect your current seer and btu output.

Secondly, finding a matching blade will be VERY difficult. He will need to match diameter and pitch. If these are not matches EXACTLY, the motor will burn up in a matter of hours/day.

Third, installing a fan blade that is not designed for your system could affect your remaining warranty on other system components.

I would suggest replacing the motor and blade with correct OEM replacement only. As stated above, please post the decibel ratings so we can determine if you indeed have a problem or not.

Agree do not change the blade. If anything try adjusting it in the shroud.

Just took the noise reading on my unit and at 2-3 feet it varies from 83 to 89 (pulsing). In our bedroom (2nd floor) it is low 50s and in the dining room (1st floor) it is 61-65. I very much appreciate the advice on the fan replacement. Since I have lost confidence in the installer at this point, I will contact Trane regional representative. Basically the problem is the deep resonant pulsing that the installer is calling air slap. Thanks for help and if anyone has anything to add, I will be monitoring the thread.

Mid 80's is pretty loud. Just for example, loud singing is about 85 decibels and a blender is about 90 decibels. So, it's pretty much like an opera outside your bedroom window. My 1998 goodman only puts out 72-74 decibels. Your system should be much quieter than this. You definitely have an issue.

I would call another contractor and get a second opinion. We have a contractor locator map on this site. See if we have someone in your area.

Just serviced a 2011 properly operating XR15. I took decibel readings. It was operating around 70-73 decibels. Example, 70 decibels is about the level of noise inside an average car.

Yours is much louder and there IS an issue.