Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Installing dryer 2~3" away from wall with preinstalled vent help.

Hello everyone, new user here.

Just bought a house and on Wednesday are moving in. The wife and I were looking over the house today and realized we have a problem: the dryer won't fit! As installed in our apartment, the dryer is 5" from the wall at the widest part and 33" from the wall from the front. In the new house, the door from the kitchen into the laundry room swings up against the right wall and leaves only 30" to the back wall.

This is the space:

Name:  laundry room.jpg
Views: 2399
Size:  18.1 KB

Now, I assume I need to trim that lower right vent pipe. As it is, the dryer is set to be on the right and the washer on the right. As the washer is less deep, I was considering switching their position and using a periscoping dryer vent.

Is there anything else I can do here? Can I trim that vent that is in the wall very close to the wall and use a smaller periscope?

This is the washer and dryer set in case it helps as well:

Maytag Centennial MEDC400VW0

Can anyone suggest a solution?

Thanks

can the dryer be vented out of the side too?

Quote Originally Posted by snupytcb View Post
    can the dryer be vented out of the side too?
    Well, to be honest I am not sure. I installed it 2.5 years ago and have not pulled it out since. And the wife has it running right now, lol.

But I will try and look in the manual to see if a side vent is available. If available, how would that help my situation exactly? I really know a minimal amount of how dsetups differ, but can pretty much install whatever is necessary.

Thanks for the reply

well, it may give you another venting option so you can move it a little bit. is this your problem? venting not matching up? maybe i read your post wrong i will read it again.

Well, it's not really that the venting doesn't match up (which I am sure it wont, the dryer venting is 9" from the right side, and the wall vent is 6" from the wall), it's that the flexible tubing I have now makes the dryer stand 5" from the wall and I really need it at 2". So I think I'll have to not use the flexible tuning I have right now and find another solution.

If it matters, that vent in the picture on the first post goes straight outside. So if I trim it at all (if that is OK), there isn't a bend or anything once in the wall. There is just a flap on the outside of the house. I can put my arm 8" into it and my fingers are outside.

oh i see. you can trim it closer to the wall. as long as it is electric you can use the flex, i don't like it but it is alright for electric units

oh i see. you can trim it closer to the wall. as long as it is electric you can use the flex, i don't like it but it is alright for electric units
    Ok, well I am glad to hear I can trim that piece in the wall.

But The other issue is that I can't use the flex tubing. Since it is a 5" diameter, it keeps the dryer at least 5" from the wall. I need a way to get it down to 2".

I really appreciate all the help so far. Very new area for me.

you can't reduce the vent pipe down at all. at least i doubt it. your manual should tell you. if you can vent from the side maybe you can switch the washer and dryer. then you will be able to push it all the way back. otherwise you may not have any more simple options. you may have to move the vent in the wall so it is a straight shot to the pipe. then you should be able to push it farthr back.

you can't reduce the vent pipe down at all. at least i doubt it. your manual should tell you. if you can vent from the side maybe you can switch the washer and dryer. then you will be able to push it all the way back. otherwise you may not have any more simple options. you may have to move the vent in the wall so it is a straight shot to the pipe. then you should be able to push it farthr back.
    Right, I know I cannot use a smaller pipe, that's why I was thinking a periscoping pipe. Like maybe this?

All-Metal Close Connector for Electric Dryers

sure, if it works and is safe by all means, use it. good luck, i need to hit the hay.

Thanks for the help and have a great evening.

To anyone else on... how close can I trim that pipe on the wall? I know I only get one shot at that. And it looked like metal on the inside, so should I use a hacksaw or should I buy tin snips?

Oh, and i am sorry if I put this in the wrong forum. I just saw the AOP text at the top of a page. Feel free to move if I have misplaced this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast