Thread: refrigerator

refrigerator

Hey guys im currently a HVAC student and my dad wants me to take a look at our refrigerator and we havnt really got to that part in school yet so can someone help?
    My refrigerator isnt working correctly. The freezer isnt defrosting and the fridge part is getting hot, spoiling food. I have reset the defrost timer and unplugged it but neither worked. The fridge part works for a couple of days. Also the freezer is freezing hard and wont adjust with thermostat. Any ideas how to fix this thing?

Check the defrost timer and the electric heater below the evaporator coil ohm out the heater and the defrost timer coil it sounds like one of those things is the problem

Have you checked the evap fan motor ?
    Quote Originally Posted by JLEE91 View Post
    Hey guys im currently a HVAC student and my dad wants me to take a look at our refrigerator and we havnt really got to that part in school yet so can someone help?
    My refrigerator isnt working correctly. The freezer isnt defrosting and the fridge part is getting hot, spoiling food. I have reset the defrost timer and unplugged it but neither worked. The fridge part works for a couple of days. Also the freezer is freezing hard and wont adjust with thermostat. Any ideas how to fix this thing?

There is usually a wiring diagram hidden somewhere - either folded up and taped up underneath, or stuck in a void on the back side of the front grille, something like that - you can read that and see what all is involved with the defrost circuit.

Typically in a domestic fridge you have one evaporator in the freezer, a thermostat in the fridge section, and an air duct between them (supply off the fan, and a return). If you are not defrosting it is possible that ice is blocking that duct and stopping air flow to the fridge section. The thermostat never satisfies, the compressor keeps running and freezes the crap out of the freezer section.