3 Ton Rheem AH With A 2.5 Ton Goodman Condenser

I just had a new Rheem 3.0 ton air handler installed(Clasic RHSL-HM3617JA), I have a 2.5 ton Goodman condenser outside(13 seer 4 years old) both r-22. The Rheem has a 2.5 ton TXV installed not a 3.0 ton. I am on the beach in SC and the ac is not getting cold enough and the heat pump heat is not very warm. The rheem replaced my old Carrier 3 ton and my repair guy is saying it is fine get used to it.

Can anyone help? Does the TXV need to be a 3 ton? Another HVAC contractor that came out out said the 2.5 TXV was not allowing enough Freon through for the fan speed, which is on low... but still pretty high, he said get more advise??? Thanks In Advance!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by joeg View Post
    I just had a new Rheem 3.0 ton air handler installed(Clasic RHSL-HM3617JA), I have a 2.5 ton Goodman condenser outside(13 seer 4 years old) both r-22. The Rheem has a 2.5 ton TXV installed not a 3.0 ton. I am on the beach in SC and the ac is not getting cold enough and the heat pump heat is not very warm. The rheem replaced my old Carrier 3 ton and my repair guy is saying it is fine get used to it.

Can anyone help? Does the TXV need to be a 3 ton? Another HVAC contractor that came out out said the 2.5 TXV was not allowing enough Freon through for the fan speed, which is on low... but still pretty high, he said get more advise??? Thanks In Advance!!!!
    I'm not a service tech and I have not (recently) stayed at a Holiday Express, but it would seem to me that a TXV should match the A/C or H/P.

What makes you say the txv is 2.5 ton?

Also the indoor valve size has no effect on the unit in heat mode.

It sounds like it could have a bad valve in cooling which would not surprise me. They are susceptible to damage.

The contractor that came out looked at the number on the TXV and said it is a 2.5. on the heat pump mode doesnt the system rum backwards?? so wouldn't that also control how warm the coil got? it get warm when the electric heat kicks in.

Quote Originally Posted by joeg View Post
    The contractor that came out looked at the number on the TXV and said it is a 2.5. on the heat pump mode doesnt the system rum backwards?? so wouldn't that also control how warm the coil got? it get warm when the electric heat kicks in.
    The indoor txv has no affect on heating and is supposed to bypass.

1. You have a mismatched system-which is not a good thing to have with a heatpump system: Were you warned about this when the airhandler was replaced?
    2. Rheem/Ruud equipment is typically engineered to be very less forgiving when mismatched with other manufacturers in my experience. they typically only play well together.

See if there are any contractors in your area from our locator....
    Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he will eat for a lifetime.

Give a man a capacitor, doesn't know what to do. Teach a man to install it, now he knows everything.

RHSL has 410 TXV

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

Was not warned... I wish i was. I opened the unit and checked the TXV says 30 on it so it does match the 2.5 ton condenser outside. The issue is really the cooling side, the fan speed seems high on this unit even though it is on low the cool air out of the vents is just not cold, it is more like cool. This is what worries me if I wait until spring and summer i will have no recoarse.

So the fan speed is on low, when they put the guages on outside they said that it was fine.... but not really cold air. Any thoughts??

That air handler is fine for 2.5 or 3 ton unit but won't work if your outdoor unit is R22

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

Post all the numbers that are on the TXV. They may not have put the R22 TXV in.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

RHSL-HM3617JA is a 3 ton R410a air handler. Won't work w/ your R22 condenser unless they swap in a R22 TXV- which I'd advise agains't.
    Best match would be that R410a AH & a new matched Rheem R410a HP condenser. Mismatched gear rarely works well- even more so on heat pumps.

Your compressor wont live long either if its a r410a txv.

Quote Originally Posted by precision hvac View Post
    RHSL-HM3617JA is a 3 ton R410a air handler. Won't work w/ your R22 condenser unless they swap in a R22 TXV- which I'd advise against.
    I have found nothing more fun than changing out a valve on a Rheem coil, only a Picasso with a torch can do it without melting the pan.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown