+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Nitty Gritty Details About Your Next Service Truck!

Post Likes
    I have had 3 Spartan bodies, not very well built when it comes to wiring, where the floor meets the rear of the body and a host of other fine issues. I see them as a Goodman, cheap and problematic.

Post Likes
    Anyone looking for a new or nice used service truck check out commercialtrucktrader.com My boss was about to spend $30k on a new Chevy 2500 with service body. I found him one on that site for $24k brand new with service body. He had to fly out of state to pick it up, but it was such a good deal he bought 2 of them.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    Yeah, I drive a Chevy Express 1 ton also... albeit it is rough on gas.

Anyone heard anything about Chevy/GMC Express/Savana vans in the future?

IMO GM really needs to work on gas mileage.

I say they have the market cornered with real vans. They don't show any signs of shifting the platform. They'll be the last ones with a V-8 option, Unless we all switch to chassis cabs with up-fits.

I don't worry too much about the mileage in these because the installers are typically driving to one destination and parking for the day.
    You can't learn a thing with your mouth open.

Post Likes
    I have heard that the Ford E-Series in a cutaway will NOT be going away anytime soon.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HeyBob View Post
    I have heard that the Ford E-Series in a cutaway will NOT be going away anytime soon.
    Doesn't seem like that much trouble to build the rest of the van...
    You can't learn a thing with your mouth open.

Post Likes
    does it comes with 5 speed and diesel like europe has?
    Have tools and gauges, will travel.
    ------------------------------------------------------

RIDGID|YELLOW JACKET|UEI|TESTO|STANLEY|CPS|VETO| KLEIN|MILWAUKEE|MASTERCRAFT|

Post Likes
    I just bought a 2005 GMC Safari Today. Forget all these mini trucks with 4cylinder motor's. My dodge neon SRT-4 has a 2.4L motor a Ford Transit 2.0L and is made for work? WTF?

Chevy needs to bring back the safari/astro ASAP
    In canada a Dodge sprinter that is 2 years old is all rusty looks like hell. I would be pissed if I spent $70,000 and it rusted out before 50,000KM

Post Likes

Cool

I still have my 2005 sprinter looks good 140 on it now, 26 mpg and rising

Post Likes
    Have 2006 sprinter tall height and medium length body it gets 24MPG. You can't beat that with a fully loaded service/install van. Best purchase I have made. They are known to run 500k miles on original engine. These smaller cylinder Diesel engines have lots of torque. For residential install or service this is the way to go.

Post Likes
    I find the new Ford vans interesting, not really any different in styling than the Sprinter Vans. As far as looks, not sure that's the point with a service truck. Just hope they are building them to stand up. The little Ford Transits are no good for Heavy Commercial /Industrial work. I've driven both Chevy and Ford Vans. personally have preferred the E series.
    " Go sell crazy somewhere else,we're all stocked up here.

Post Likes
    http://www.viamotors.com/
    That looks great for those who mostly work in a crowded city. Drive electric on most days, but still have a way to go further when needed.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by NiHaoMike View Post
    http://www.viamotors.com/
    That looks great for those who mostly work in a crowded city. Drive electric on most days, but still have a way to go further when needed.
    Truly an interesting idea... IMO if the co gets some serious fleet purchases they will survive and this will be a significant option.

We STILL need a leap in battery technology though... and from what I read that is a few years away.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    HOW ABOUT THESE BEAUTIES.

Classic Buick Century svc truck with prop for marine repairs.

Beater S10 with backup muscle for collecting outstanding tickets.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by HeyBob View Post
    2014 full size Transit, FOLLOW THIS LINK.

I am not crazy about the 150,000 mile severe duty life cycle. Also, from the side it's super ugly. Scroll down for wheelbase length and body sizes.

Pretty interesting stuff.

Optional 5 cylinder Power Stroke Diesel
    at this point, I don't care what it looks like, if I could get 3 times the mileage I am now, I am ALL FOR IT.

My Chevy 2500 is 14 years old this month. Still running pretty good, but im getting 9.5 to 11mpg.....which SUCKS.

If i could afford a 30+mpg truck, i would buy it in a hart beat (as long as it doesn't say "DODGE" on the side---I'll walk before I buy another POS dodge)
    Why am I the only naked person at this gender reveal party

Post Likes
    I had a Transit Connect when I was running my company. Not bad for service around the city. Sold it when I sold my company in April 2012.

Fast forward to August 2013.... Big G thought it would be prudent to put the tech reps in Transit Connects. 12000 miles later... it sucks. Definitely not meant for 350 mile hot shots. My ass goes numb. My back gets sore. I drove the same territory for 16 months in my POV with no problems (Toyota Prius c). They definitely need a better seat if you're not just zipping around a metro for a few miles each day. Also, the 4-cyl doesn't get it done in the hills of Kentucky. 70mph at 4000 rpm. Loud!
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Post Likes
    I was talking to an Alarm/Security Tech who had a Connect, he said he goes through tires every 30K miles? WTH is up with that? Just cheap tires or the thing is out of alignment?
    Why am I the only naked person at this gender reveal party

Post Likes
    Hmm. Haven't gone that far yet. I'll let you know in June if I need tires at 30K.
    Perhaps you should have read the instructions before calling.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolMech View Post
    I just bought a 2005 GMC Safari Today. Forget all these mini trucks with 4cylinder motor's. My dodge neon SRT-4 has a 2.4L motor a Ford Transit 2.0L and is made for work? WTF?

Chevy needs to bring back the safari/astro ASAP
    In canada a Dodge sprinter that is 2 years old is all rusty looks like hell. I would be pissed if I spent $70,000 and it rusted out before 50,000KM
    A reintroduction of the Astro/Safari would be cool. Make it look more like a mini-Express/Savana. Have an advanced V-6 that somehow give us 20-25 MPG. That would be nice. Chevy's station wagon is a joke. I've seen Honeywell use those station wagons and passenger vans for their Bldg Automation Techs. The vans have windows all around, they just have white-out decals on them. GM is losing out big there.

Post Likes
    I think GM is waiting to see what trend 'works' in the market... and will bring out their 'version' of professional trades trucks/vans.

Personally, I am a Chevy guy... just used to them and comfortable with them. They sure are ruff on gas though...

I liked that VIA concept... but spending something like $80-90K for a service van... YIKES. The insurance alone would KILL my one man show budget... albeit the gas savings would be great! I really think this style of hybrid (diesel locomotive style, that is with NO mechanical connection between the engine and wheels) is the best way to go... it is actually a REAL hybrid... the Prius style is not a true hybrid in the traditional sense.

Meanwhile... I get 10-11 MPH... and just have to live with it (I have a LWB Express 3500, it weighs well over 7000# loaded). One of the things I do is try to 'manage' my customer base so my travel distance is as short as reasonably possible.

Has anyone seriously looked at 'tuning' their engine... that is, either re-programming the engine computer or replacing it? We do this with auto engines mounted on experimental aircraft... yet it is a laborious project... I have not looked into what could be done with a Chevy 5.7 or 6.0 V8 mounted in a van.
    Thoughts?
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post
    I was talking to an Alarm/Security Tech who had a Connect, he said he goes through tires every 30K miles? WTH is up with that? Just cheap tires or the thing is out of alignment?
    In some areas, the roads are just hard on tires. Regular tire pressure checks, rotation, and alignment checks can help.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in