+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A new hobby!! Homemade 3d printer.

Post Likes

A new hobby!! Homemade 3d printer.

So I stumbled on this little gem and think I found my new hobby.
    http://reprapbook.appspot.com/

Post Likes
    Nice, under CC 3.0 license, too The Chinese will probably start building them and selling them dirt-cheap. Unless the governments crack down on this stuff, I can see exchange of plastic recipes and designs on the forums, plus piracy issues for manufacturing patented parts. That's where several things can happen..

1) Patent system reform (yeah right, interested parties have been pumping too much money into politicians making it ridiculously tight)

2) The consumers saying eff you, we don't need you, we can make our own - driving the patented design prices down with a flood of free (as in "beer" and as in "speech") designs

3) There is a mass shooting (real or staged) involving a gun that has some parts manufactured this way, moral panic, and the devices get controlled into becoming a fringe market

Post Likes
    http://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=ar+15&sa=Search

It's allready started. Only a matter of time before DIY metal 3d printers start appearing though they are quite a bit harder to do.

Post Likes
    I am thinkin CNC machine
    Saddle Up!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by -80guru View Post
    I am thinkin CNC machine
    But instead of taking a large piece of stock and shaving it down to a shape (think a ton of wasted stock) you can build up to that shape, thus saving a ton of stock.

Just wait until they can do this with metal instead of plastics, it will open up a lot of opportunities and cut costs in half.
    UA LU189

Post Likes
    I've modeled hundreds of different parts in SolidWorks software and printed them on various 3D printers. SolidWorks and other top end 3D modeling programs have a regular "Print" button and a "Print 3D button. We used to send iges files and stl files among others to a "service bureau" in Atlanta and have them shipped back to Texas. Eventually we were able to buy an Israeli 3D printer for about 20K and make our own prototype parts. One of the issues we had was resolution, we could couldn't keep a tolerance of .005" and .010" was the norm for most 3D printers. The parts we made in production were machined to .0005" and checked with a CMM.

Still the possibilities are tantalizing. And there are printers already out there that use a deposition process to create metal parts.

Nice video, thanks for posting!

Robert
    The picture in my avatar is of the Houston Ship Channel and was taken from my backyard. I like to sit outside and slap mosquitos while watching countless supertankers, barges and cargo ships of every shape and size carry all sorts of deadly toxins to and fro. It's really beautiful at times.....just don't eat the three eyed fish....

¯`·.¸¸ .·´¯`· .¸>÷÷(((°>

`·.¸¸..· ´¯`·.¸ ¸.·´¯` ·.¸>÷÷(((°>

.·´¯`· .¸>÷÷(((°>

LMAOSHMSFOAIDMT

Post Likes
    I saw a $250k printer at a machine/tool shop this summer. it was printing out parts in black plastic. guy said was in the tens of thousandths range.
    They also had cnc machines with turrents for "normal" machine work.

makes that engine lathe I used in the Navy feel like a relic, but we did piece work and as per sample parts.
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Post Likes
    there's some silicone caulk based recipes on the instructables site. you can make rubberized parts with it.

There's also something called newbrite? that can make yellowed plastic clear again. household stuff, may try sometime on a yellowed tstat cover.
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in