Possibly abused / neglected / damaged system?

Hello all,
    This unit has been maintained with regular air filter replacement for the past 2 years. As I do not have *much* knowledge concerning hvac, does this unit look severely water damaged? It looks disgusting to me, and possibly a big air quality issue going on. This is the first time I have opened the unit completely as I am used to just changing the filters. The unit does heat and cool fine, although it takes a while to cool down temps at times. I would like an expert opinion on this unit just by what you see here. I am not as much concerned a lot with the functioning of the unit, because as I said.. it does work, but if running a unit like this can be dangerous?
    Attached Images Attached Images    

looks like there are heavy smokers in the home to me. That all could be cleaners with evaporator coil cleaner. Simple Green would be a good start with a tooth brush.
    As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another Proverbs 27:17 NIV84

Are you the tenant? It just needs a good coil cleaning other than that it is probably in the 35 to 40 yr range, but your landlord won't change it until its dead.

just looks like it needs a good cleaning.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Doesn't look bad at all. You shoulda seen the one I cleaned today

Call a local HVAC contractor. Tell them you would like your system given a "Preventative Maintenance."

With this, you will receive a complete system cleaning top to bottom and evaluation by a qualified service technician This is relatively inexpensive and will help extend the life of your system.

Your system needs it!