Thread: Vibration form AC conducting through walls

Post Likes

Vibration form AC conducting through walls

Hello. This is another question about AC on the roof of a condominium. I am on the top floor of the condo. When a single AC unit turns on, I get vibrations through the walls. The builders put spring lifters on the AC units but this didnt help. The issue is with the vibrating "tubes" from the roof units which go down through the walls. Any suggestions on how to dampen the vibrations from these as they pass through condo walls?
    Thanks so much.

Post Likes
    What does it sound like? If the unit is low on charge it can be noisy a liquid line but I don't know about vibrations. It will be a surging sound like bubbles in the liquid line sounds like.

Post Likes
    The sound is a low frequency hum really. It is present anytime a AC unit on the roof turns on. It is a low background noise coming through the wall from the AC cables that come from the ac fans and course down through the condo walls. These "cables" or condensers or whatever they are are wrapped but still vibrate to the touch up on the roof as they go down through the condo.

Post Likes
    This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by beenthere; 12-14-2012 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Non Pro * Member

Post Likes
    This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

Last edited by beenthere; 12-14-2012 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Non Pro * member

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Justhowe View Post
    The top part of my response I quoted but was unable to figure out how to link it.
    The spring mounts didnt work so far.
    The conduits going down into the building still vibrate.
    But thanks for suggestions.

Post Likes
    Justhowe, this is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

Your post has been deleted.

Post Likes
    Contact your Carrier dealer and have him install a mass dampner as a first step and then add vibration eliminators or pipe in an inverted U in the refrig. line if the dampner doesn't resolve it. Done this numerous times with great success. Also make sure the system is properly charged like someone already mentioned.

Post Likes
    I appreciate the professional suggestion. I am just the owner of the condo unit. If I showed that to the builder would they know what you mean? Could you put that in lay terms? Again I really appreciate it.

Post Likes
    I have seen this problem many times and most of the time going to the attic and simply pulling up or down on the refrigerant piping or stopped the noise. Have the unit running with someone listening to tell you when it goes away. You may have to put a hanger or something to hold them in place.I hope this helps.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by buzhall View Post
    I have seen this problem many times and most of the time going to the attic and simply pulling up or down on the refrigerant piping or stopped the noise. Have the unit running with someone listening to tell you when it goes away. You may have to put a hanger or something to hold them in place.I hope this helps.

thank you. The issue is this is a condo so there is no attack.
    Could someone give me a good idea of what might the builder do. they tried sprig lifters on the ac fans on the roof and that didnt work bc the things coming through the wall still vibrate andmake noise

Post Likes
    I don't know if they even still make this but 10 years I had an issue similar to that and finally ended using flexable pieces of lines that were about 10 inches in length. Thet were brazed in and insulated. Solved the problem and as far as I know is still there. They actually looked like stainless braided lines.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in