Hi,

Over the past several months this forum has been invaluable as a resource for helping me design and install a custom heating solution for my home. Unfortunately, my consultant has abandoned me at a critical time – right when I need the pump control, buffer tank, thermostats, and DHW tank w/ heat exchanger for my radiant system. Can anyone out there help me complete my project?

For details, I am working with a local HVAC supplier installing a Waterfurnace Synergy3 geothermal unit that provides both water to water and water to air heating. The water to water function will heat an attached buffer tank acting as a low temperature boiler for my radiant heating. I have already installed heavy extruded plates plus non-oxygen barrier pex in a staple up installation for the first floor and inslab wet install in the basement. I have a total of 5 zones - 3 for the basement and 2 for the upstairs. I desire to take advantage of the unique features of the Synergy3 to provide the following functions:

1) Provide low temperature (120 degrees maximum) hot water for radiant space heating.
    2) Provide supplemental and emergency forced air heating
    3) Provide both AC and continuous hot water in the summer for DHW heat exchange

Through my local HVAC contractor, I have verified with Waterfurnace that above features are fully supported. My local HVAC contractor is experienced with geothermal but not radiant heating. I could work with Waterfurnance if necessary to design or provide additional information for an aquastat control. I need a consultant to recommend a final design including a plumbing schematic, pump control hardware, hot water tanks, and an electronic control solution with an outside reset feature. I was warned by Waterfurnance not to “over design” the solution. For instance, I was specifically warned that traditional Tekmar controls might not work as well using low temperature geothermal water source.

If you would like to discuss my project off line, please email me directly at

raychance

at

yahoo

com

Thanks,

Ray

Sorry forum rules forbid DIY questions.

You'd be better off getting a referral from your wholesaler for the work you need.

And other site members, PLEASE remember the rules.

Condenseddave summed it up pretty well in another thread: We are giving away the farm.

Sorry, I'm not a geothermo guy.

Remove your e maol address. Its against the rules because of bots.

Put your e mail address in your profile.
    And just post in this thread that you r EM is in your profile.

I would advise finding a company in your area to design and install this, instead of yourself.

Who's going to work on it later.

If the company that put you into contact with waterfurnace can't desgin and install it, then they can't fix it if it doesn't work.

Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Sorry for the misunderstanding. Please let me clarify

1) This is NOT a DIY project. I am willing to PAY for someone else to do ALL the work.

2) I live in an area where I cannot get anyone who is experienced with BOTH radiant plus geo heating.

3) My geo HVAC company is not an expert in radiant heating. They will work with me as a last resort on the radiant side but would rather have me find a consultant.

That is why I submitted this post. I am sorry for posting my email. Thanks!

Originally posted by downtown
    Sorry for the misunderstanding. Please let me clarify

1) This is NOT a DIY project. I am willing to PAY for someone else to do ALL the work.

2) I live in an area where I cannot get anyone who is experienced with BOTH radiant plus geo heating.

3) My geo HVAC company is not an expert in radiant heating. They will work with me as a last resort on the radiant side but would rather have me find a consultant.

That is why I submitted this post. I am sorry for posting my email. Thanks!
    All systems need to be maintained. If you live in an area where you can't find a qualified installer then what will you do for service?

I would not recommend that you install a type of system that is not understood by your local service company. Install something that the local company understands.

Sorry but once again Ive gotto vent. It always amazes me me that intelligent people will try to do something thats ,for one expensive, can cause death or injury to self and others. Ive gave up on the answer! I thought it was to save a buck,pat on the back of doing it yourself,afraid of contractors riping you off, I just dont know! Then you get the people that try to do it, seem like intelligent folks, who screw it up then cry for help when they can't finish it.If I live to be 100 I will never understand people.

Im with Norm on this one.... Who's going to work on it? Beenthere charges a pretty penny to fly all over the country to change thermocouples.

Originally posted by docholiday
    Im with Norm on this one.... Who's going to work on it? Beenthere charges a pretty penny to fly all over the country to change thermocouples.
    I give a 5% discount if they have a bowl of chunky monkey for me.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Originally posted by downtown
    Unfortunately, my consultant has abandoned me at a critical time – right when I need the pump control, buffer tank, thermostats, and DHW tank w/ heat exchanger for my radiant system.
    + WHY did your local consultant abandon this project?
    _____

Send R.F.Q.s to local M.E.P. engineering firms
    who know the local installers !

... Install a system that a local mechanical contractor is comfortable with.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Thanks all,

I have received several emails with suggestions including good contacts with individuals who will help me complete my project. Now I understand that in order to design an effective outdoor reset switch you need to know both radiant heating and Synergy3. For anyone else in a similar situation I also recommend another forum:

Radnet:
    http://radnet.groupee.net/eve/ubb.x/a/cfrm/f/2771065301

Originally posted by beenthere
    Originally posted by docholiday
    I give a 5% discount if they have a bowl of chunky monkey for me.
    I'm a weak man.... the Chunky Monkey would do it for me