Media Filter Options

I am in the middle of having a new gas furnace and central A/C installed. Furnace installation finished a week ago and A/C condenser will be done on Thursday. Got a Bryant Evolution 987m furnace. Contractor asked if I wanted IAQ package, which included electronic air cleaning. I said no and he didn't offer alternatives. Furnace was installed and tech who did installation put in 16x25x1 pleated MERV 11 filter (that was what I had used in old furnace and we had some lying around).

I've since learned about media filters. Called contractor to see about installing something like Aprilaire 2210. He came out today and said that tech should have put in 5" boxed filter, which cabinet they did install (Carrier FILCAB) is made for. He said he would bring one over and put it in. He also said that to put in Aprilaire 2210 now would require lots of work (and cost big $$ -- he didn't say how much), since furnace was installed with clearance between return duct and furnace cabinet of 5.75" for FILCAB box and Aprilaire 2210 requires 7".

So my questions are: 1) am I right to be peeved that contractor didn't mention possibility of Aprilaire 2210 (or Carrier EZ Flex) before installation? 2) Is he right that with furnace now installed putting in Aprilaire 2210 at this point is huge deal and would cost big $$? 3) will 5" boxed media filter in FILCAB box be as good as Aprilaire 2210 (I guess meaning will it deliver similar low pressure drop at equivalent MERV)? and 4) speaking of MERV, what is recommended? I think replacement filter boxes come in MERV 8 or 11 or 13.

Any and all thoughts would be appreciated.

I typically like a MERV 10 or above, we install the Honeywell F100 on all of our installations. Personally I don't like the aprilaire because the size of the filter is not easy to find and a 16X25X4 is sold at most hardware stores in my area. Yes he is correct the aprilaire does take a decent amount of redoing the ductwork for it to fit, I would stick with the FILCAB if it was my house.
    Check out my YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/skyheating1 We have customer testimonials, product reviews and more!
    Like us on FACEBOOK if you like our advice here!

Quote Originally Posted by dnfuss View Post
    I am in the middle of having a new gas furnace and central A/C installed. Furnace installation finished a week ago and A/C condenser will be done on Thursday. Got a Bryant Evolution 987m furnace. Contractor asked if I wanted IAQ package, which included electronic air cleaning. I said no and he didn't offer alternatives. Furnace was installed and tech who did installation put in 16x25x1 pleated MERV 11 filter (that was what I had used in old furnace and we had some lying around).

So my questions are: 1) am I right to be peeved that contractor didn't mention possibility of Aprilaire 2210 (or Carrier EZ Flex) before installation?

Any and all thoughts would be appreciated.
    I would say the contractor was listening and complied with YOUR Wishes.
    Someone who understands budgets also understand "No".

A Response of " maybe" sends a MUCH DIFFERENT Signal of Your objective.

What is Your real objective?

The basic function of a filter is to keep the air handler /furnace clean.
    MERV 7 is adequate.
    MERV 11 - one inch - is likely OVERLY Restrictive and unnecessary to maintain Coil cleanliness.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Filtration Life Cycle Cost ... partial
    _365 ………. days/ year
    _ 24 ………. hours/ day
    8,760 ………. hours /year
    0.75 ………. for _ _ HP fan in 3 ton unit
    0.746 ………. kw / HP
    0.560 ………. kW/ fan operating hour
    4,901 ………. kW / Year
    $0.10 ………. $/ kW ... ~ National Average
    $490.12 ………. $ / Year to run _ _ HP fan in Air Handling Unit

or twice that in NY, CA, ...
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Contractor listened and installed a filter box large enough for a standard 5" media filter. Which is more then many do. So he did nothing wrong. Plus you can get higher MERV filters for that box.

We can't allowed for every single change a customer may want down the road.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

The Aprilaire 2210 and the Carrier FILCAB are basically the same thing. They each fit a 5" media. The FILCAB comes with a MERV 8 and can fit a MERV 11, 13 or EZ Flex.

The FILCAB is a much better option for your system due to actual cabinet dimensions being an exact match to your current system.

See this product brochure for additional info.
    http://www.docs.hvacpartners.com/idc...IAQ-053-25.pdf

I have read and appreciate all the replies and done further reading. I will admit when I'm wrong, and now agree that my contractor did just the right thing (even if I didn't then realize it).

I also wasn't aware that EZ Flex was an option for FILCAB. Is there a reason why I should prefer EZ Flex over cartridge media (or vice versa)? All thoughts appreciated and, again, thanks.