American Standard Heat Exchanger problem

Question

I have a 2 1/2 on American Standard YCC030F1M0BE Gas Pack.
    Does anyone know what the name is of the spiral shaped, paperlike material that is located inside the entrance of the heat exchanger at the point where the flame enters into the heat exchanger? It an asbestos like material and makes the flame spiral around as it goes through the tube? Can the unit function properly if you remove this? The reason I ask is that a contractor has told me that one of them, there are three, one in each tube, is broken. He removed it and said that it does not need to be replaced. He is a local American Standard dealer an but this just does not seem right. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The part your describing is to keep the flame inside even.Call the company,and tell them to try to order the baffles.The best way to look at it is they are in there for a reason.

Sounds like low NOx baffles. I think they are put in there for California requirements. I don't think they are needed for proper operation though. Just CA pollution control requirements. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

My understanding is that, in general, if the inserts are on the burner end of the HX, its OK to remove them, but if they are on the outlet end, they need to be there.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Originally posted by BaldLoonie
    Sounds like low NOx baffles. I think they are put in there for California requirements. I don't think they are needed for proper operation though. Just CA pollution control requirements. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
    Your right. It's a reactive material to lower NOX.

How do our fellows make a living in the over regulated Republic of California?