Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forced hot water boiler no pressure question, Why do i have no water pressure in my b

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XG29vzV0314

a link with a video of the problem, the taco pump is a 007-870, the psi in the expansion tank is <5. the models of zone valves are 1311-102 and 1361-102.
    SRM-60203A - boiler model. the auto-air purge releases air from the top. the water valve for fresh water is closed.

What is my problem? any thoughts? the last two time we had someone out to check it was $ a piece and we just don't have the funds right now. From what i can tell, it was last serviced in 11-12-07 when the new Taco pump was installed. the Expansion tank was installed at 1-29-07
    Last edited by beenthere; 12-12-2012 at 06:18 AM. Reason: price

what makes you think it has no pressure? does the gauge usually work? time for a service. 5 years is a long time. is it having trouble heating.?\\?

the pressure gauge on the boiler does usually work, you can see it at 2:51 in the video. it goes up to 3-4 when the boiler is heating the water, then drops down after. the water is heated, but doesnt travel much farther than the unit itself.

i can't give diy advice. i would call a company who is good with boilers. it needs a cleaning and some attention

i read the rules and realize that and thank you for just responding at all lol i was just really wondering what maybe could be happening, or what the problem could be. but like you said, im sure it does need some love and care. would you happen to know what year its from even? i cant find any information about the model on the internet

It seems you lost some water. What are the plastic buckets for? Are they catching water seeping from the valves? I also didn't see an automatic water fill valve. The water supply is closed, but you can't open it and leave it open or you will add too much pressure to the boiler.

The pressure relief valve valve is 150 psig. I wouldn't want to put anything bigger than a 30 pound valve on. It seems like it is actually a water heater pressure and temperature relief valve.

You say the water is heating, but is it circulating?
    Beware of advice given by some guy on the Internet.

The plastic buckets were actually just hedging my bets incase of a leak. I did have a bit of water escape from the auto-air purger but only a small amount.

There actually is no automatic water fill valve. I don't know why but it seems that the previous owner may have modified the system when putting in the downstairs 1/2 bathroom.

When I opened the water supply valve, the pressure had no change - had a friend check it as I opened it slowly. There are no leaks that I can see. However, I just thought about something! Part of the system goes into an enclosed crawlspace ! Maybe there is a leak?

The pressure relief valve does make sense now.

It circulates when the water is heated due to the thermal convection or something im guessing. The Taco pump outer casing is really hot- hotter to the touch than the heated water at 210f but I can hear it turning. Should I be hearing anything at all?

I would add an automatic feed valve, replace the relief valve, make sure the pump is actually pumping, purge any air out of the system, and check the pressure in the boiler with a different guage to verify the actual pressure.

I had a circulation problem once and thought the Taco pump was working. I was not.

The gate valve leading to the boiler may also be fouled. If it needs to be replace don't let it be installed handle down. Sediment may cause operational problem with the valve.
    Beware of advice given by some guy on the Internet.

Thank you for the advice, I'll make sure they do it the right way! Hope it doesn't have to be replaced though, it seemed to function normally when I turned it. With everything else though lol you're probably correct on that too.

I was just looking at my water meter more closely and found that it has a leak indicator that is continuously on.. the meter is a Neptune E-coder R900i and the flow rate jumps between 0.023 and 0.034. Not sure what that means, the manual doesn't say.

About the American Auto Air Purger, the manual says it should be 14-18" from a bend? Am I understanding that correctly? If so, I don't think ours was installed correctly, as it's connected to the bend. *sigh lol

that little gold thing just above your exp. tank is your "autofill" valve. it most likely is not working verry well. they are not the most reliable system for "autofill". try tapping on it with the water turned on.

Quote Originally Posted by snupytcb View Post
    that little gold thing just above your exp. tank is your "autofill" valve. it most likely is not working verry well. they are not the most reliable system for "autofill". try tapping on it with the water turned on.
    The part that you speak of has the other side fully bolted in. I just thought the part was ambidextrous.

Quote Originally Posted by snupytcb View Post
    Good eye. Maybe the gate valve is peeing through and there is a leak under the house.

You could open the gate valve and see if the boiler fills. about 15 psig is good

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast