Mag starter coil temp

Mag starter coil temp

I ran into a mag starter on a maintenance today that struck me as hot. I noticed the label on the coil was shriveled up. I ran a temp gun on the coil and it was 179F. The line load portion to the motor is operating inside of amps and volt specifications. I am curious what is the max temp allowable for a coil?
    I STARTED WITH NOTHING, AND I STILL HAVE MOST OF IT!

What's this starter on? Is everything in the enclosure that hot also? I don't know what the max temp is but 179 is way to high.

Hi Allstar08,
    Is the armature (moving part of the starter) pulled completely in?
    If it is not pulled completely in, the coil of the starter will pull more current than it should.
    The coil of the starter is similar to a motor, in that the coil will pull more current (inrush) when it is first energized, The current will drop when the
    armature iron core pulls in and makes contact with the stationary iron core. If the two iron cores do not meet completely the current will remain high, causing the coil to get extremely hot.
    Look for debris on the iron cores or loose hardware not allowing the armature core to pull completely in.
    Good luck.
    Allen
    UA Local 602
    A man who says that he can't learn anything in a class is exactly right.