Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    York mod like been there said would be your ticket to comfort.

Thanks for your input everyone! I will look into some 60k modulating furnaces and get some quotes! I guess I've never considered one because they are fairly new and I've heard reliability is questionable. Is the new Carrier Infinity modulating? And if so have you had good results?

You say the contractors are hesitant to go as low as you want in the furnace size. ??? I'm just guessing here, but I'm thinking none of them did a heat load calculation to qualify their hesitation. If that's the case, you haven't talked to the right contractor yet.

And I'm with the others on checking into a modulating furnace as you seem to be the customer the manufacturers had in mind when they brought that technology to market.
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Any reason to go with York over Carrier Infinity? Is it more reliable or provide better comfort? I have a carrier dealer coming this week to give me a quote on a Infinity furnace with Infinity thermostat.

Is the Carrier truly modulating, or just 3 stage?
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Looks to be fully modulating. 58MN7, Infinity 98, lowest btu is 60k input.

My plan was to either go with a Rheem 2 stage variable 45k or Goodman GMVC95 46k.

It's so good to see this discussion. There are so many times I try to get contractors to ask consumers if their heating system every shuts off during the coldest days of the year while still maintaining the temperature the thermostat is set for. If the answer is "yes", then that system is "grossly" oversized.

Even if a furnace cannot quite keep up on the very coldest days, it's not like you are going to freeze. Since every furnace is oversized every day the outdoor temps are not at the lowest designed temperature, it certainly doesn't make sense to have a furnace that is so oversized that it shuts off when the temperatures are at their lowest.

I hope contractors learn from this thread.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

BTW my house is a 2100 sq split entry! I'll let you all know which direction I go and how it turns out. Thanks for all your help, much appreciated!

Carrier MN7

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 12-16-2012 at 08:13 PM. Reason: non AOP member

denvran

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.

Still haven't replaced my 67k btu Armstrong! But my plans are to put the Armstrong in my 3 car garage and replace the furnace for the house! Still undecided to go with a 60k or 40k!! I still think 40 would be fine for my 2100 sq ft in MN but nobody wants to do it. If I post pics of current setup can u evaluate it? Help is appreciated!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast