Page 1 of 9 12345678 ... LastLast

Tight house or oversized furnace?

Last night while watching TV I decided to time my furnace run times because I'm in the market for a new furnace that I'm thinking about going down in size.
    Results: cycle 1, 5 min 10 sec furnace on 34 min 12 sec off
    Cycle 2, 5 min 52 seconds on 33 min 35 sec off
    It's fairly cold here now, 5 degrees F at the time I was doing the timing.

Equipment: 92.5% 67k btu furnace, Broan-Nutone HEPA HRV, t stat is set to 70 and it turns heat on at 69 and back off at 70

Im in the market for a new furnace and I'm thinking about going to a 45k but contractors seem hesitant to go that low for my home, but based on my unscientific test on run times I think I'll be just fine! What do you think? Is my furnace too big or is my house just well insulated? Thanks for your input!

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't it get much colder than 5 deg up there? And what was the wind like? The wind will make a big difference.

It does get much colder than 5*, -15 to -20 on rare occasions, but with such short run times it seems there's some room to work with, also wind was light around 5 mph.

I want a furnace that actually runs to keep a slow trickle of heat from the vents. When on for such a short time it isn't that comfortable.

Go down a size...or look at a combi boiler with outdoor reset control for even more even heating when paired with a hydronic air handler. You can also add a heat pump and gondfual fuel and have even lower output in mild wearher. You not far from design temp but only using less than 20% capacity. You should habe no trtoublke with a 45k unit. You probably only need maybe 30k or less even at-10f.

It not suprising. I only need 65k in a 3500sqft house with moderate insulation and lots of windows at 0f.

You have a very well insulasted home.

Sent from my SGPT12 using Tapatalk 2

Btw... great to hear a home owner that gets it...the benfit of smaller being better and more comfortable.

Sent from my SGPT12 using Tapatalk 2

x2
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

I would consider a modulating furnace. The Lennox is really nice. This furnace can fire from 35% of its capacity to 100% in 1% increments. I would but in the 70,000 btu. and let it do its thing. Also its 98% eff.
    As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another Proverbs 27:17 NIV84

rather than guessing about how tight the house/duct system is...
    have a blower door & duct test done.

otherwise it is just a wag.

best of luck.
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

Might want to look into a York mod. From 35% to 100%, in .5% increases, and comes in a 60,000 BTU size, so you aren't getting a furnace larger then you already have.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

The fact that your house has an HRV tells me the builder/insulator probably made an effort to make the house tight. 45K is more than plenty for a tight house. You have a 67k now because the HVAC contractor that installed it was scared to trust the insulation effectiveness.

X3 moto.

So you want a furnace that works like a faucet not a firehose, you want range. I think BT might have nailed it, that furnace may drop the lowest. 20k I think?
    Which makes more sense to you?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

DO THE NUMBERS! Step on a HOMESCALE.
    What is comfort? Well, it AIN'T just TEMPERATURE!

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

21,000 input.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Page 1 of 9 12345678 ... LastLast