+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Union apprentice math exam

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Likes

Union apprentice math exam

Strongly considering entering union as apprentice. Was told I will need to take math exam as a prerequisite. I have been in the trade for 5 years. What can I do to prepare myself for exam. I haven't really done much math since high school so about 9 years.
    Any advice??

Post Likes
    I found this on the Arizona UA Local 469 website. You might peruse it. I think it will give you an overview of what is required. It appears you can take the sample test and you get graded.

You might do some more web searching and find more. Good luck!

3. Likes Polarbear310 liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Looks like I have some work to do! How much weight does this test carry? Is this the deciding factor on whether or not I am accepted?

Post Likes
    How you rank on the test determines your "spot" on the list of potential apprentices. I've known two different young men who had to wait six months to retake the exam. One failed the math, the other the English. It's serious business because, in effect, you are becoming a student in a state program. Here it's in our community college district. Also, missing class can get you kicked out.

Post Likes
    Here is a place for free refreshing https://www.khanacademy.org/

Post Likes
    Your looking at the algebra level.

Post Likes
    there's a test?????????????????????
    true knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.

Post Likes
    I am also considering the Union route. I think they are offering the test in March 2013. I better start studying.

Post Likes
    Some Locals can be selective. My home Local has one whole state and small part of another. The small part of that other only has CBSS, HBS, and JCSS as Union sigs. Daikin-McQuay, Emcor, Hussmann, and Trane are non-Union. Nobody else.
    We all have heard about the going ons with CBSS. My home Local doesn't have the masses trying to join.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in