Byant 5 ton vs. Amana AMH8

I recently received fairly similar quotes for a Bryant 5 Ton vs. an Amana AMH8 (AM480804B). I have a large townhome on 3 levels approximately 2000SF. I live in Southern CA. so that is a factor in the system that fits my needs. This Townhome does not retain heat very well, old windows, I also have a cathedral ceiling; (25ft) in the living area on the 1st floor as well. The garage is built - in, so cold air gets in from down there also. The Amana 2 stage system appears to be a slam dunk with the two stage capabilites, but have read that the 2 stage factor is something of a misnomer. Any ideas? Thanks for your help.

on low stage the airflow will be reduced, the amana is a 4 ton while the other is a 5 ton, more airflow with the 5 ton, hopefully a load calculation was done prior to bidding
    Total Energy Management, inc

I had three people come and don't believe any on of them did a load calculation. At least none of them showed it to me. One guy did mention that I have overkill for this place with my existing system (currently not operating). The furnace is from the mid seventies. Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by buckwheat1858 View Post
    I had three people come and don't believe any on of them did a load calculation. At least none of them showed it to me. One guy did mention that I have overkill for this place with my existing system (currently not operating). The furnace is from the mid seventies. Thanks,
    No one in my area (300,000 people, I'm guessing) does load calculations. It's a shame.
    The utility company gives rebates for "high-efficiency" system. Most systems are over sized with terrible (poor delivery) ductwork. It's like trying to get good gas mileage with flat tires.

A 5 ton or even a 4 ton seems grossly oversized. What size is there now? A 5 ton takes alot of ductwork to make it work properly. Also the right size filter which is also often ignored.

Thanks for all of the great help. I think my major concern was addressed here; size doesn't always matter (sorry to the girls reading this). I did get a quote for ductwork which was 2/3 the cost of the furnace, as an additional item. Sounds like a lot. Not sure what size system I have now but one gentleman says that it's overkill. The thermostadt is Gaffers Statler. Thanks again for all your responses.

Putting in an oversized unit will make hot/cold spots worse bc it will cool down the area where the tstat is located and shut off and the other areas won't be close to the same temp.

If you go with the Amana go with the 15 seer as you are in California with extremly high rates. (Gov brown thinks thats a good idea) Amana will offer to your contractor a extended warranty . If you were not offered that ask for it. It can cover both labor and parts for up to ten years. 4 ton should be fine. I have sold Amana for ten years. I am now a Day/Night dealer because of excessive call backs on new installs with Goodman and Amana, thats why I think it's important to have a Extended warranty with a Goodman product and thats what Amana is. Now to split hairs you can buy a Day & Night product in California . it is no different then a Bryant product but perhaps priced better. Solid unit. they just don't offer as good as a warranty as Amana. As far as heat load calcs . they are over rated . A contractor in your area that is worth a dime can tell you what size you need by just walking the project