Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by George2 View Post

The 14x8 duct riser is good for (only) 600 cfm. I would have installed at least a 20x8 (900cfm) or equal. I like more air than not enough. I think this is a simple concept but contractors seem to have a problem with it.
    But 600 CFM is still enough air for 1.5 tons and I can't imagine them needing more than 1.5 tons of cooling upstairs for only 1,000 sq feet. The reason I would still put in a return vs more supply is that its very hard to pull the hot air from the upstairs back down to the main floor with the returns, regardless of how much air your put upstairs, you are going against the grain without a return upstairs since heat will naturally rise.

No offense to Sky (King) heating,
    Why did you put (King) in the name? We are not associated with King anything. Maybe you are getting me confused with somebody else.
    Check out my YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/skyheating1 We have customer testimonials, product reviews and more!
    Like us on FACEBOOK if you like our advice here!

Quote Originally Posted by SkyHeating View Post
    But 600 CFM is still enough air for 1.5 tons and I can't imagine them needing more than 1.5 tons of cooling upstairs for only 1,000 sq feet. The reason I would still put in a return vs more supply is that its very hard to pull the hot air from the upstairs back down to the main floor with the returns, regardless of how much air your put upstairs, you are going against the grain without a return upstairs since heat will naturally rise.

Why did you put (King) in the name? We are not associated with King anything. Maybe you are getting me confused with somebody else.
    You must be to young to remember the "Sky King" show on TV. It was about a man flying around in his twin engine airplane. I don't remember much about the show otherwise. I thought since you had Sky in your company's name, I would add King. I thought it was sorta cool.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyHeating View Post

How do you highlight the sentences and put them in a box?

Regarding the 600cfm to the second floor being enough, it must not be, he's hot.
    Although, it get worse, because he has only 5 supplies and who knows what size or how they are run. Plus, we just found out they are in the floor. That's the worst place to try and A/C a 2nd floor. I would like to see at least 2tons to that area.

You can add return to the 2nd floor all day long and not make a difference if there is not enough supply. Again, assuming there is enough RA to the system now. And I would not take that bet.

In homes that were built before air conditioning became standard, I just assume (I know) that any duct system that was designed for heating only is going to be undersized for cooling, especially in a 2 story home with one system and in a climate with a fairly hot cooling season; am I wrong, and if so, why?
    An answer without a question is meaningless.
    Information without understanding is useless.
    You can lead a horse to water............
    http://www.mohomeenergyaudits.com

Quote Originally Posted by tipsrfine View Post
    In homes that were built before air conditioning became standard, I just assume (I know) that any duct system that was designed for heating only is going to be undersized for cooling, especially in a 2 story home with one system and in a climate with a fairly hot cooling season; am I wrong, and if so, why?
    Yes, I agree. Older homes built before, say, 1960 did not have ductwork for A/C. Heck, new homes built today quite often don't have the proper sized ductwork.

Click "Reply With Quote" under the post.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    Now that I look, I see that you're already DOING that.

What you need to look at the beginning and end of that quoted text.

You'll see something like this : [QUOT=jpsmith1cm;14758241] at the beginning and [/QUOT] at the end of that quoted text.

By manipulating where those "tags" are, you manipulate what the quoted text looks like.

Adding note. Note that the word "QUOTE" is intentionally misspelled in the above examples. If spelled correctly, the site software automatically makes it into a quote box
    Practice it a bit and you'll get the hang of it.

Just checkin.

How do you do that when you only want part of the post you are quoting? Like a sentence or two?

Like a sentence or two?
    Just edit the text between the quote tags.

Remove what you don't want.

Another trick is to copy/paste the quote tags. Then you can do this:

How do you do that when you only want part of the post you are quoting?

Just edit the text between the quote tags.

Remove what you don't want.

Another trick is to copy/paste the quote tags. Then you can do this:
    Thank you. I've tried the cut and paste but I have not been able to get the nice, neat outline around the quote.

I'll try the suggestions listed. Thanks.

Regarding the 600cfm to the second floor being enough, it must not be, he's hot.
    Although, it get worse, because he has only 5 supplies and who knows what size or how they are run. Plus, we just found out they are in the floor. That's the worst place to try and A/C a 2nd floor. I would like to see at least 2tons to that area.

You can add return to the 2nd floor all day long and not make a difference if there is not enough supply. Again, assuming there is enough RA to the system now. And I would not take that bet.

Didn't work, but I think I see the problem.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast