Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gibson Heat Pump Moan

Post Likes

Gibson Heat Pump Moan

bought another home and it already had a brand new (Gibson) heat pump and air handler installed
    H/P Model #: JT4BE-030K
    AIR HANDLER Model #: B6EMMX30K-B

Over the last couple weeks, later in the evening around 10pm or 11pm, when it was colder, guess around 30 degrees or so, I've heard this loud moaning sound coming from the vicinity of the heat pump. The sound lasted about 10 seconds or so. Last week it was really loud and felt like it vibrated the floor.

The line set does run beneith the floor where I thought I felt the vibration and after viewing the lineset, its about an inch or so away from floor joist and subflooring.

Tried googleing the symptom and seems like there could be somthing going on with line pressure and reversing valve. and possible sticking of reversing valve. Dont really understand all the stuff I've read.....

I realize that this is hard to diagnose, since you arent here to witness this "MOANING" sound. Its happened several times over the last 3 weeks or so and has only happened when it COLD outside.

Hope this is enough information for you.

Thank you all for your time. I do appreciate your assistance.

Post Likes
    Have you ever lived with a heat pump? It could just be the reversing valve shifting for defrost.

Post Likes
    @ Adillon - Yes I have. Previous home had a Trane installed 2009. Never once was there a maon like this, just the swoosh sound

Post Likes
    You might want to have someone check out the system for airflow or charge issues.

By the way, I used to have a neighbor who had a candy red nova. The whole under carriage was chromed.
    The kids starting fighting over it and he sold it to his fishing buddy for 3k.

Missed that one.
    Life is too short, Behappy!
    TFMM

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by behappy View Post
    You might want to have someone check out the system for airflow or charge issues.

By the way, I used to have a neighbor who had a candy red nova. The whole under carriage was chromed.
    The kids starting fighting over it and he sold it to his fishing buddy for 3k.

Missed that one.
    Would you mind being more specific in regards to airflow and charge issues.

BTW - sold mine for 6k. it was a 69 prostreet, back halved car with a SB 302. About 420HP

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by purplenova View Post
    Would you mind being more specific in regards to airflow and charge issues.

BTW - sold mine for 6k. it was a 69 prostreet, back halved car with a SB 302. About 420HP
    I have seen (not often) HP systems having low airflow (duct work issues, setup issues etc.) raise the pressures higher than normal, but not high enough to trip the unit, cause this on shut down. Also overcharge 'may" do this. Not saying this is your problem. Just need to get it checked to eliminate these possibilities.
    Life is too short, Behappy!
    TFMM

Post Likes
    Sounds like your line set is vibrating against the frame of the house, try moving it off of the frame very carefully.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by toocoolforschool View Post
    Sounds like your line set is vibrating against the frame of the house, try moving it off of the frame very carefully.
    I can see that a vibration sound or tapping could occur, but not a loud MOAN.

Post Likes
    you have to start somewhere, eh ? /

Post Likes
    you have to start somewhere, eh ? /
    you are correct....sorry

Post Likes
    can you record the sound for hvac company to hear?

most cell phones have this ability. then play it back for
    tech to hear.

just my .o2
    best of luck
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by energy_rater_La View Post
    can you record the sound for hvac company to hear?

most cell phones have this ability. then play it back for
    tech to hear.

just my .o2
    best of luck
    We could try but we never know when it will happen. Like last nite, why I was at my 2nd job, I got a text from my wife that it happened 4 times.

Unfortunately, she was not able to give specifics on what time each "moan" took place.

So now I get to call the installer back with that bit of info

Post Likes
    Would it hurt the lineset to stap in down against the floor joist so it cannot move

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by purplenova View Post
    We could try but we never know when it will happen. Like last nite, why I was at my 2nd job, I got a text from my wife that it happened 4 times.

Unfortunately, she was not able to give specifics on what time each "moan" took place.

So now I get to call the installer back with that bit of info
    You left yourself wide open on this one.

Post Likes
    You left yourself wide open on this one.
    LOL - well since you all are "professionals" here. I would expect an appropriate answer....
    But yes - You are correct !!!!!

Post Likes
    we aren't that type of pro!
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by behappy View Post
    I have seen (not often) HP systems having low airflow (duct work issues, setup issues etc.) raise the pressures higher than normal, but not high enough to trip the unit, cause this on shut down. Also overcharge 'may" do this. Not saying this is your problem. Just need to get it checked to eliminate these possibilities.
    they came out and checked the "pressures" and told me they were "exact on", what they should be.
    AND
    they stapped down the lineset to the floor joist in a couple spots, within about 5 or 6 feet of the air handler but left the remaining lineset untouched, which is about 8 or 10 feet in length.

Post Likes
    I posted replies to some messages but wanted to start another thread so not to get "ME" lost.

Heres where we are:

Installer came out and:
    1.) checked line pressures and I was told they are "exact on" where they should be
    2.) stapped down the lineset to the floor joist in a couple spots, within about 5 or 6 feet of the air handler but left the remaining lineset untouched, which is about 8 or 10 feet in length.
    3.) last evening (12/5/12) between the hours of 6:30pm and 10:30pm, Eastern Standard Time, the "moan" happened 4 times.

Could I ask - are there a set of questions that you folks could list here for me to specifically ask the installer to check when I call him back to inform him that the "moan" has happened again last night. Seems like from reading stuff on the internet (uh oh !!!) that this noise is associated with the function of the reversing valve and defrost mode.

If i had direct questions for the installer, from your expertise, this may get to the root cause alot faster.. I dont know !!!!

Thank you all so much for your input.

Post Likes
    Yup there may not be an easy solution to a moaning RV. You may have it changed under warranty. No gauranties

Post Likes
    Yup there may not be an easy solution to a moaning RV. You may have it changed under warranty. No gauranties
    I had that conversation last night with my brother-in-law. And that may be our only alternative. But I hate just "hanging parts" on something to see if that fixes the issue.

There has to be a series of tests that can be performed to identify the problem. One thing I'd like to do if possible, find out it the unit can be forced into defrost mode, at will, so we all can hear that moan then this way the installer has something concrete to go by.

It made that sound again the other morning, about 6:40am, but this time it wasnt as loud. I ran outside and indeed it was in defrost mode. Fan stopped turning, and I could feel heat coming out of the unit.

There was a smaller canister down inside the unit that had frost built up around it. It ran like that for maybe 3 minutes or so, then stopped, a mild "swoosh" sound, then the fan kicked on and returned to normal operations.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in