heating oil additive for homeowner to put in?

I'm looking to buy an additive that will dissolve any sludge in the pump (it's a Webster, with self-cleaning screen), as well as the tank and lines. I've noticed that some (such as the Hercules SludgeTreat, which I can buy locally) are mostly mineral spirits - plus a lesser amount of another solvent such as Glycol Ether EB. Could I just use mineral spirits?

Any comments in general about what additive should go into the tank? It's indoor, so I don't need any antifreeze component to it. I don't think I need a biocide, either.

Hercules Sludge Treat MSDS:
    http://www.herchem.com/specs/sludgetreat.pdf

I've also been looking at this comparison chart by FuelRight:
    http://www.fuelright.com/pages/tech_corner.html

(Beckett's FuelArmor doesn't score particularly high at 10 out of 30, but the Hercules SludgeTreat scores at 28.)

Thanks.

i never reccomend it during heating season. you should wait untill it is low. then drain it off and clean it that way. by doing this you lessen the chance of problems.

We have had good results with SBG by FPPF. Double dose the first couple of times then drop back to the recommended amount.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

Quote Originally Posted by snupytcb View Post
    by doing this you lessen the chance of problems.
    I'd heard one report of pouring the solvent in right before the oil delivery (which is the recommended usage on the label) -- but that ended up clogging the filter. Is that the kind of problem you're talking about?

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 12-17-2012 at 08:47 PM. Reason: non AOP member

Core_d

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.

See if your fuel supplier will deliver b5 fuel oil. This is 95% #2 fuel oil and 5% biofuel. The biofuel will dissolve/disperse the sludge. You should plan on frequent oil filter changes. Personally I would use a garber spin-on or equivalent with a vacuum gauge to see when your filter is loading.