Do you mind explaining how it worked originally? I never heard of sulfur dioxide, nor do i know what that thing is on top of the fridge.
The top part is the hermetic compressor unit with the condensor coils circling around it. The evaporator is a similar to modern evaporators except it's cast iron and prone to rust.
They used a float to control the liquid refrigerant entering into the evaporator. (kind of like a toilet valve)
SO2 is miserable refrigerant to work with. A few strong huffs and you might be dead. These monitor tops are pretty robust but imagine a major refrigerant leak back in the 20's when people lived in very small houses. If the obnoxious smell didn't wake you up in time you'd likely be dead. SO2 refrigeration units were like a chemical weapons inside of homes. Freon R-12 was a godsend given the primitive refrigerants at the time.
The later model monitor tops had stainless steel evaporators and were much safer however I would not put them in living quarters - the garage is close enough.
I have a monitor top that the gas is all leaked out. I like your conversion and would like to do the same thing? I can get a small refrigertor like the one you used on craigs list that works for $25.00 is there any thing i need to know before I buy it? The coils are mounted on the back like the one you show. Will I have to disconect the lines to install every thing and then recharge the system or can i get away with out doing that? where did you install the on and off switch? <Email addresses are not permitted in post, please put it in your profile, thank you>
Last edited by beenthere; 01-03-2013 at 07:15 PM.
Why is Methyl Formate "bad stuff"? I mean, it is a toxic chemical, but it isn't dangerous when handled carefully. It is even a liquid at room temperature. I would think ordinary gasoline is much more dangerous.