+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Imperial flat grill

Post Likes

Imperial flat grill

I'm sure this is elementary to most, but in trying to pick up more refrigeration accounts, I have taken on some food service equipment.
    I have two flat grills that are in need of a tear down, and am hoping to walk my guy through the process.... Can the flat grill be removed to gain access to the burners? and if so, how?

LOL, would really appreciate the feedback

Thanks
    Member of the "Work Exchange Program"
    "Will work for knowledge"

"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"
    A Einstein

In a kitchen with my head stuck in an oven
    Post Likes
    I’ve worked on many gas griddles through the years, but only dared to remove ONE griddle top. That was only because I had to replace the entire griddle top under warranty. THAT took three of us.

Otherwise, all of my cleaning/repairs were done where and as the unit sits. Typically, to get under the griddle top, I’d merely pry up and support the front edge of the griddle top to replace failed thermostats or move the burners around for clearance while replacing burner valves.

I’ve torn down many griddles for cleaning, usually because greasy “mountains” built up onto thebacks of the burners – years of accumulated grease spatter (or spatula storage)down into the flu vent. I’ve seen this buildup be so bad as to completely block the flu vents and greatly affect the burner flame characteristics. Again, I did this with the griddle where it sits by removing the flu vent panel(s) for access & removal of the burners through the back. The burners are usually just tied down to their holders with something akin to bailing wire.

If you’re intent in removing the griddle tops, here are some things to consider:

1) A griddle top IS the bulk of the weight of that equipment. Just a 36” tabletop unit can weigh 300lbs or more - depending on the make.

2) If they have thermostats in it, then be sure to have replacement thermostats handy – just in case. They’re very vulnerable to being damaged –especially if they’ve been there awhile.

3) Have TWO menminimum on the job, armed with a cache of various pry bars, wood blocks, etc.

4) With the front cover off, if your first lookover at the unit doesn’t present an answer on how their griddle top is secured to the base, I’d recommend consulting with the manufacturer for their advice. I’ve never considered calling tech support a bad idea.
    >

Post Likes
    Thanks ectofix
    We will be replacing stats and cleaning burners.
    Would removal of the flues be our best option?
    I called Imperial tech support, but they didn't give much assitance! He suggested top removal should just lift off..... (this is a six footer )
    After talking to support, and re-evaluating, I figured my best bet would be to consult here

sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note

"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"
    A Einstein

Post Likes
    Ive been in the industry for about 19 yrs CFESA trained , why do you want to take the top off , you should just be able to pull burners and stats right out , but if you want to lift it off I would sugest ,4x4 and a duct lift.
    Regards

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by techwizard007 View Post
    Ive been in the industry for about 19 yrs CFESA trained , why do you want to take the top off , you should just be able to pull burners and stats right out , but if you want to lift it off I would sugest ,4x4 and a duct lift.
    Regards
    Techwizard,
    Thanks for the reply!
    If I do not need to pull the top "up", then that is the route we want to take.
    Is there a manual on these Imperials?

A Einstein

Post Likes
    Kamersoutdoor yes there is if you give me your email address I can email it over to you.
    Regards

Post Likes
    I need to know m/n and s/n would help alot
    Regards

Post Likes
    Model and serial numbers are long gone, but I do have pics!

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1356259799377.jpg
Views: 3033
Size:  47.9 KB
    Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1356259821541.jpg
Views: 2979
Size:  30.5 KB
    Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1356259874065.jpg
Views: 3012
Size:  43.5 KB
    That is a 72" top

My email is in my profile, not sure if I can pm you or not.
    Thanks Tech

A Einstein

Post Likes
    i don't think i can remove the top my flat top. i will look at it today. on another note, i did work on one thursday that it did come off. the unit was bought from a vfw and only got used a handful of times. very rusty and greasy. i took the top off because it, well, it just needed to come off. after 3 plus hours of cleaning it runs great. the last burner (of 4) had a weak flame and pilot. gas pressure was fine. it did it even if i had no other burners on. i ran out of time and will go back tommorow. all i can think is the gas train has rust in it.

Post Likes
    Good luck with that.

Can't really see the front to view the controls. Is it stat or just valve operated? Sorts of looks like an old ITG. There really isn't that much to them but if you do lift the top be prepared to replace all the stats.

Take that old monster outside and get a hot water pressure washer after it.

Parts town usually has a decent parts break down. It really doesn't show much on how to take a unit apart.

http://download.partstown.com/is-bin...MP-ITGA_pm.pdf

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Dad View Post
    Good luck with that.

Can't really see the front to view the controls. Is it stat or just valve operated? Sorts of looks like an old ITG. There really isn't that much to them but if you do lift the top be prepared to replace all the stats.

Take that old monster outside and get a hot water pressure washer after it.

Parts town usually has a decent parts break down. It really doesn't show much on how to take a unit apart.

http://download.partstown.com/is-bin...MP-ITGA_pm.pdf
    Dad,
    These are valve operated, no stats.
    I need to get the burners out for cleaning. Also no regulator on it, had 7" at manifold, tech support claims regulator should be present.
    I ordered new valves and orifices just in case.

There's a plate that seems to be obstructing burner removal at valve location. Someone mentioned removing the flue. This also seems to be an obstacle.

I will not be able to get in here until after the holidays to complete this task.

A Einstein

Post Likes
    If the burners have never been out then you will find the far end of them wired to the grill frame for shipping. Will need to cut each wire to get each burner out. Each burner is meant to be lifted from the top and out of the frame. What's the odds the installer cut them for you ?? Doubtful any grill will allow you to pull the burners out near the manifold.

Lifting the top will also allow you to inspect the diverter plates (called aerator plates in the diagram) Bet you a Root Beer they are warped or burned up.

The flue can be easy to remove if it is held on with screws. One that big will take two guys to hold it as you remove the sheet metal screws.

Depending on the age of the valve they may just need cleaning and greasing... Gas Valve Grease.

Yes, a regulator must be installed. Most grills are set to 4.5". Loosely wrap the regulator with aluminum foil so the grease doesn't stop up the regulator vent cap. Since you are going to add a regulator the customer will complain there isn't enough heat. It's been over-fired all these years.

They really need to brick that grill top. It's awful.

Post Likes

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in