+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trane heat exchangers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Likes

Trane heat exchangers

Has anyone else had an issue with trane heat exchangers? We are coming across about five a day. These furnaces are on average 3 years old and up.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 2141 View Post
    Has anyone else had an issue with trane heat exchangers? We are coming across about five a day. These furnaces are on average 3 years old and up.
    Where is the failure on the heat exchanger? What's your altitude?

Post Likes
    Yes I have. Their all cracking at the collector box. If you notice rust on the screws at the bottom then its cracked.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by barriefurnacerepair View Post
    Where is the failure on the heat exchanger? What's your altitude?
    The secondarys crack easily seen behind the transition receptacle for the inducer but those are not the cracks I'm talking about. the cracks I was mainly referring to are underneath where the flame enters, on the left side of each chamber, off the top of the crimp. I think the altitude is 2000

Post Likes
    The secondarys crack easily seen behind the transition receptacle for the inducer but those are not the cracks I'm talking about. the cracks I was mainly referring to are underneath where the flame enters, on the left side of each chamber, off the top of the crimp. I think the altitude is 2000
    Altitude will make a difference on a hotspot. The code where I live [4.22.1] in Ontario references CSA/CGA 2.17 and states "...it shall be adjusted to the high-altitude rating shown on the nameplate when installed at elevations between 2000ft and 4500ft above sea level." This is quoted from CSA-B149.1-10.

The furnace should be derated on install. There should be a manifold pressure given on the nameplate for that elevation. Beyond 4500ft, it is 4% for every 1000ft in elevation....a way to verify derating is to clock the meter. 1 cu.ft = 1000BTU (roughly) as you may know.

HVAC-Talk has a thread referencing derating....
    http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?75461-Question-about-derating-gas-furnace-for-altitude

Post Likes
    Hey mod....where's the love? Make me a pro member already

Post Likes
    Yeah problems with Tranes of all sizes, crappy material used to make the exchanger.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Foehammer View Post
    Yeah problems with Tranes of all sizes, crappy material used to make the exchanger.
    I'm glad to hear we aren't the only ones. As you probably know it is not a fun situation telling a customer that their 3yr old furnace is unsafe.

Post Likes
    This is scary, we have been a trane dealer around 3 years. Is there a recall or anything?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Joehvac25 View Post
    This is scary, we have been a trane dealer around 3 years. Is there a recall or anything?
    There is currently no recall. We have hounded trane for months and the do not admit there is a problem with their product. The bad part is the customers that decided to repair the furnace are replacing the heat exchangers with the same one that failed EARLY!

Post Likes
    Wow that's bad, the most expensive equipment on the market is bad. Is it all HXs or does is seem to be a certain model?

Post Likes
    It doesn't matter the model. I have seen them on every model both 80 and 90 %. Here is a picture I took using my see snake and phone. It right underneath the burner entry Name:  image.jpg
Views: 5700
Size:  18.4 KB

Post Likes

Smile

It doesn't matter the model. I have seen them on every model both 80 and 90 %. Here is a picture I took using my see snake and phone. It right underneath the burner entry Name:  image.jpg

This is a fantastic shot....what prompted you to pull out your snake?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by barriefurnacerepair View Post
    This is a fantastic shot....what prompted you to pull out your snake?
    It is company policy to inspect every heat exchanger with it. You would never know it was cracked without using the snake. No flame disturbance, no CO, flue co was about 14ppm. Temp rise perfect.

Post Likes
    Has anyone found any of these lately?

Post Likes
    On a pm today, this was installed a year ago, inducer sprung a leak.Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355262518.160833.jpg
Views: 9065
Size:  44.2 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355262537.339169.jpg
Views: 8781
Size:  37.4 KBName:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355262550.413624.jpg
Views: 9259
Size:  40.8 KB

Post Likes
    On a pm today, this was installed a year ago, inducer sprung a leak.Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355262518.160833.jpg
    Great pic...thanks. It would be a hard sell on water marks and corrosion alone to a home owner. Do you have any additional information? Flame? Drainage? Rollouts? It would be great to get a pic of the ruptured heat exchanger. Cutting a piece out the side would be proof beyond a reasonable doubt.....That is, if you're tagging the furnace.

Here's one I had recently......the flame wasn't right and I hadn't noticed the metal chips until removing the burners.....it verified what I couldn't easily see. The original issue was a rollout switch tripping. It's fortunate this issue was found before a fatality.

Post Likes
    That furnace also has a cracked secondary

Post Likes
    Joehvac25, how can you tell?
    Thanks

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckcrj View Post
    That furnace also has a cracked secondary
    Really thinks so? This one the inducer was leaking where the two sections were put together, not at the header box

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in