+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trane heat exchangers

Post Likes
    Just found one with a crack in the header,and a crack in the inducer bracket that hold the inducer motor will put pic on.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by eliteair View Post
    Just found one with a crack in the header,and a crack in the inducer bracket that hold the inducer motor will put pic on.
    That is pretty common with tranes design and first thing I check. But my photos where a result of hairline cracks in the secondary plastic collector box. Only way to see it was to pull it, not sure if u could see the detail needed with a snake camera but I would like to try.

Sent from my BlackBerry using Tapatalk please excuse typographical errors
    If you can not do it right, Why even do it at all?

Post Likes
    Yes I have noticed them with pin holes ,heat exchangers aren't mad like they used to be and the manufacture doesn't carry the 20 yrs like they use to ..Regards

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by techwizard007 View Post
    Yes I have noticed them with pin holes ,heat exchangers aren't mad like they used to be and the manufacture doesn't carry the 20 yrs like they use to ..Regards
    I am not sure everyone here would agree with me but why not spend a couple extra dollars and make that cover out of stainless or anything other then plastic and I wonder if they would not be having this issue anyone else fell this way?

Post Likes
    had one today that was leaking water on the right hand side above the blower motor in blower compartment.(tux080c942c3) i think its the inducer. alot of sloshing on startup.unit plumb and level. upflow.drains and traps clear. please advise if im wrong. rescheduled pulling inducer and gasket replacement. all ca readings were good. 0ppm in home

Post Likes
    Hey Techwiz...,Goodman has a lifetime on there H.X.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmicmuffin View Post
    Hey Techwiz...,Goodman has a lifetime on there H.X.
    Most manufacturers have a 20 year or lifetime warranty. certain carrier models have only a 10 year.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 2141 View Post
    It doesn't matter the model. I have seen them on every model both 80 and 90 %. Here is a picture I took using my see snake and phone. It right underneath the burner entry Attachment 335651
    Has anyone found any of these lately?

Post Likes
    Good lord, glad I found this thread! This answers my question about how Trane HX's are holding up... Now i'll be keeping an eye out.

Are these failing HX's you guys are finding not getting enough airflow or something? (in other words any of them fail with proper airflow/ductwork etc)

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Gus-Herb94 View Post
    Good lord, glad I found this thread! This answers my question about how Trane HX's are holding up... Now i'll be keeping an eye out.

Are these failing HX's you guys are finding not getting enough airflow or something? (in other words any of them fail with proper airflow/ductwork etc)
    There is no reason outside of design or quality of materials.

Post Likes
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21360888443.635084.jpg
Views: 2506
Size:  37.6 KB

Found this one today. 9 yrs old.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Hvac216 View Post
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21360888443.635084.jpg
Views: 2506
Size:  37.6 KB

Found this one today. 9 yrs old.
    I assume that is the tail piece from secondary to comb blower motor?

Post Likes
    Yes it is. That was the worst of it, but it was cracked a few places. They were all where the secondary screws to the faceplate.

Post Likes
    Yes it is. That was the worst of it, but it was cracked a few places. They were all where the secondary screws to the faceplate.

Did u happen to check the plastic cover plate that have a dozen or so screws in in that covers the actual secondary hx when I find tail piece issue I usually see that but not always

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by luv2cruiserccl View Post
    Did u happen to check the plastic cover plate that have a dozen or so screws in in that covers the actual secondary hx when I find tail piece issue I usually see that but not always

If I need to take the actual faceplate off then no. I'll pull it and look at it when I pull it off my van in the am.

Post Likes
    If I need to take the actual faceplate off then no. I'll pull it and look at it when I pull it off my van in the am.
    Sounds good. I been wondering if a inspection camera thru the limit switch would work at all in helping to find these issues as well

Post Likes
    I've found that Tranes are pretty consistent on O2 content. run 10% in flue. if its higher than that, likely a leak in hx. also, CO will be up sometimes as well.
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by luv2cruiserccl View Post
    Sounds good. I been wondering if a inspection camera thru the limit switch would work at all in helping to find these issues as well

It should but it wod depend on the camera. My dewalt wouldn't fit.

Post Likes
    Everyone seems to be assuming that having a hairline crack in the heat exchanger is an extremely dangerous thing. Can combustion chamber air really get through a hairline crack when the combustion chamber is at a negative pressure relative to the house air? Reference - http://carbonmonoxidemyths.com/m/Myth-1.html.

If this is such a dangerous thing, why aren't heat exchangers designed to be inspectable? Why are cracks so hard to find? Doesn't that suggest that cracks are likely to exist in many units out there that are thought to be good? Wouldn't this be a liability for furnace makers? (they've designed heat exchangers that can't be 100% reliably inspected for cracks that could lead to CO poisoning). The HVAC service guys (probably most reading this) are obviously worried about their part in this liability. What do the furnace design engineers have to say about this?

Post Likes
    I don't assume it is a dangerous thing,, I assume it could lead to a dangerous thing. If it is cracked it is condemned. If I make light of it and someone dies,,, it would be on me as I am the professional.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in