Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 67

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Cincinnati ohio
    Posts
    252

    Trane heat exchangers

    Has anyone else had an issue with trane heat exchangers? We are coming across about five a day. These furnaces are on average 3 years old and up.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Barrie, ON
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by 2141 View Post
    Has anyone else had an issue with trane heat exchangers? We are coming across about five a day. These furnaces are on average 3 years old and up.
    Where is the failure on the heat exchanger? What's your altitude?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    ontario
    Posts
    50
    Yes I have. Their all cracking at the collector box. If you notice rust on the screws at the bottom then its cracked.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Cincinnati ohio
    Posts
    252
    Quote Originally Posted by barriefurnacerepair View Post
    Where is the failure on the heat exchanger? What's your altitude?
    The secondarys crack easily seen behind the transition receptacle for the inducer but those are not the cracks I'm talking about. the cracks I was mainly referring to are underneath where the flame enters, on the left side of each chamber, off the top of the crimp. I think the altitude is 2000

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Barrie, ON
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by 2141 View Post
    The secondarys crack easily seen behind the transition receptacle for the inducer but those are not the cracks I'm talking about. the cracks I was mainly referring to are underneath where the flame enters, on the left side of each chamber, off the top of the crimp. I think the altitude is 2000
    Altitude will make a difference on a hotspot. The code where I live [4.22.1] in Ontario references CSA/CGA 2.17 and states "...it shall be adjusted to the high-altitude rating shown on the nameplate when installed at elevations between 2000ft and 4500ft above sea level." This is quoted from CSA-B149.1-10.

    The furnace should be derated on install. There should be a manifold pressure given on the nameplate for that elevation. Beyond 4500ft, it is 4% for every 1000ft in elevation....a way to verify derating is to clock the meter. 1 cu.ft = 1000BTU (roughly) as you may know.

    HVAC-Talk has a thread referencing derating....
    http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?75461-Question-about-derating-gas-furnace-for-altitude

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Barrie, ON
    Posts
    29
    Hey mod....where's the love? Make me a pro member already

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    19
    Yeah problems with Tranes of all sizes, crappy material used to make the exchanger.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Cincinnati ohio
    Posts
    252
    Quote Originally Posted by Foehammer View Post
    Yeah problems with Tranes of all sizes, crappy material used to make the exchanger.
    I'm glad to hear we aren't the only ones. As you probably know it is not a fun situation telling a customer that their 3yr old furnace is unsafe.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Upper Michigan
    Posts
    3,589
    This is scary, we have been a trane dealer around 3 years. Is there a recall or anything?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Cincinnati ohio
    Posts
    252
    Quote Originally Posted by Joehvac25 View Post
    This is scary, we have been a trane dealer around 3 years. Is there a recall or anything?
    There is currently no recall. We have hounded trane for months and the do not admit there is a problem with their product. The bad part is the customers that decided to repair the furnace are replacing the heat exchangers with the same one that failed EARLY!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Upper Michigan
    Posts
    3,589
    Wow that's bad, the most expensive equipment on the market is bad. Is it all HXs or does is seem to be a certain model?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Cincinnati ohio
    Posts
    252
    It doesn't matter the model. I have seen them on every model both 80 and 90 %. Here is a picture I took using my see snake and phone. It right underneath the burner entry Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1160
Size:  18.4 KB

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Barrie, ON
    Posts
    29

    Smile

    Quote Originally Posted by 2141 View Post
    It doesn't matter the model. I have seen them on every model both 80 and 90 %. Here is a picture I took using my see snake and phone. It right underneath the burner entry Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1160
Size:  18.4 KB

    This is a fantastic shot....what prompted you to pull out your snake?

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event