heat pump icing up in ac cycle

Hello, I have a heat pump running in the ac cycle that is freezing up at the compressor suction service valve. the pressures are 175 high and 30 low. the unit also has about 58 degree supply air with 75 return. I cleaned the evap coil and changed the filter. Also all the supply vents have airflow coming from them. Can anyone give some other options?

is it r22 or what? both pressures low if so. probably low charge. need to verify subcool though. if you also have low subcool you have a low charge for sure. shoot for 60-70 suction, 200-260 high- but will depend on ambient

This is not a site for DIY. If you are a technician you can apply for professional status and then post in tech-to-tech.

Quote Originally Posted by kklobas View Post
    is it r22 or what? both pressures low if so. probably low charge. need to verify subcool though. if you also have low subcool you have a low charge for sure. shoot for 60-70 suction, 200-260 high- but will depend on ambient
    its 22, I don't think its low charge because if it was it would start freezing up at the indoor metering device, it is a ducane 10 seer heat pump. I have not checked subcool tho, I wil Tomorrow. Thank you for your assistance

Its broke you need a new one. Sounds like a leak somewhere to me if it's that low

Quote Originally Posted by westbrook View Post
    its 22, I don't think its low charge because if it was it would start freezing up at the indoor metering device, it is a ducane 10 seer heat pump. I have not checked subcool tho, I wil Tomorrow. Thank you for your assistance
    Also the head pressure is consistent with all the other units next to it. The suction pressure is definitely a little low but the others run that though most of the time and don't freeze up there.Todays ambient was about 76-80, im guessing, I didn't take ambient either, but that's something else I will try tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by rchristie420 View Post
    Its broke you need a new one. Sounds like a leak somewhere to me if it's that low
    I just realized that I made a mistake in my question, the low side 30 is not pressure, that's the temperature, Sorry about that guys. I think there is moisture or noncondensables in the system. I was thinking about recovering, cleaning out the linesets with proflush or something similar, Nitrogen leak test, vacumming and recharging.

Just because the head pressure matches the other units next to it does not mean it is right....maybe someone charged all of them wrong?

You need a PT chart and an understanding of condensing temperatures. It will show you right away you have low head pressure.

You should verify airflow and see where the subcooling is at. But I suppose if you knew how to do that we wouldn't be here... You could post return air temp, indoor temp, liquid line temp, suction line temp, pressures and outdoor temp after making sure you have proper airflow.
    America; first we fight for our freedom,
    then we make laws to take it away.

-Alfred E Newman