Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I recenty purchased a new central ac and was wondering if it was necessary to cover it for the winter. I live in the midwest and get a decent amount of snow. Also the unit sits under a tree and in the fall will get alot of leaves falling on it.

I have been reading up on this and some people are saying you have to be carefull about condensation building up under the cover? If it needs to be covered should I buy a custom fit which is pretty costly or should I just use a heavy duty tarp? Thanks.

Don't cover the whole unit, just the top. Be sure you turn the power off to the unit so you don't accedently turn it on with the cover still on it. Maybe turn the breaker off and stick a note to it to remind you to remove the cover.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Since it wasn't cheap, why not make it look really pretty:

http://www.accovers.com

http://www.hvaccovers.com have custom covers as well for a comparable price and their sample covers are heavier, very well made.

Originally posted by mrs reb77
    http://www.hvaccovers.com have custom covers as well for a comparable price and their sample covers are heavier, very well made.
    Coverstuff will aprreciate the plug

The way we build has a greater impact on our comfort, energy consumption and IAQ than any HVAC system we install.

http://www.ductstrap.com/

Those cover don't look too well ventilated to me.
    I used a like design on some high end stuff and got stains on the top of the unit that tarnished a nice paint job.

Use at your own risk.

[Edited by hvaclover on 11-21-2006 at 05:46 PM]

Ventilated? They do not go to the bottom and they are lined with fabric to breathe. They are way better than the old drawstring vinyl things or duct taped tarps you see. The ones we've gotten from hvaccovers are heavier material as well as the bottom being hemmed and piping around the top seams. That other website doesn't have hemming or piping and the material seems thinner, lighter. You can get samples into your business so you can check them out before offering to customers. We've sold both kinds--one we call economy and the other deluxe. All depends on what you want but covering them to keep out debris in the off season seems like a good idea as long as you are careful what you use. Of course, as with all things, everyone will have their own opinion.

OOHHHH Mrs reb77, that's a shameless plug.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by hvaclover
    [B]OOHHHH Mrs reb77, that's a shameless plug.
    ************************************************** **]
    Are you sure it's "shameless", or "shameful" ??????????
    there sure is a great difference between the two words.

I agree with Beiser, if you feel you must cover, just cover the top. If you make it too cozy, little critters will find it inviting and want to make it their winter home, which makes for a spring mess.
    Mine is not under a tree so I do not cover it, but I do remove the fuse from the outside sub panel so no one ends up making the mistake of accidently turning it on during cold weather.
    Cold weather starts can be very hard on ac units.
    my 2 cents

I made mine to keep the leaves out, I got tons of leaves in our back yard, and also ice/snow .

I turn off the breaker inside the house.. At my parents I put a sticky note in the breaker saying why breaker is off.

The house at home covered the AC with plastic, nothing special, for 30 years. Not a problem.

I did place a piece of pressure treated 2 x 6 lumber on top of the unit so that water would not puddle on the plastic, nor stick to the top.

And, without saying, the AC disconnect gets turned off. Furthermore the Condenser had a crankcase heater and that meant that the AC was not used for 24 hours after the turn-on per manufacture's instructions.

The covers were removed and the leaves vacuumed out of the unit before turn-on in the spring.

I am not "plugging" any product, just submitting my opinion. It isn't my company, we've purchased from them and others so I was sharing that information with others. I also drive a Chevy and would tell people I've had good experience with them, you may not, I don't know. I don't get anything out of favoring them, I just do. Mainly I like reading the responses on this site but sometimes you fellas just get your panties too much in a bunch. When you're asked for an opinion it doesn't mean that you have to comment about someone else's before giving yours. Or in addition to giving yours.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast