Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thumbs up

Also good to revisit since more PHI's have come on the scene the past year or two.

Good point. I just received my AHR Expo show review for the January meeting in Chicago. There are three new in-duct devices that use the same "technology" - presumably supported by the same pseudo-science.

Quote Originally Posted by breathe easy View Post
    Good point. I just received my AHR Expo show review for the January meeting in Chicago. There are three new in-duct devices that use the same "technology" - presumably supported by the same pseudo-science.
    Id love to hear more. I just bought one of these RGF Remes but havent installed it yet- after hearing from the professionals here, Im debating sending it back. Several questions come to mind: Why no UL testing? And along those lines, Why no UL listing and then follow on with huge marketing and pretty poster like "university backed" self-studies (which, by the way, reeks of B.S. to me). I just had a guy come out for structural damage to my floors on my first floor and next thing I knew, I was being force fed a load of "crawlspace encapsulation, RGF Remes, conditioning the crawlspace, dehumidifiers and the like. By the time he was done, (on paper anyway), I was $13,000 in the hole. This guy had no remorse that I was dipping into my youngest daughters $1500.00 graduation present money. I was however somewhat sold on the RGF Reme, he quoted me $1200.00 installed, so I bought my own online instead ($525.00). When I get the box in the mail, no UL on the package and some typical self testing logo on the box (Im used to seeing that garbage on mobile homes because a lot of their manufacturing cant get UL approval). Now after reading up on ozone hazards and the double talk and deception sales jargon, Im either thinking of installing this in the crawlspace open or just sending it back. Thoughts?

ejectionseatfixer, for the life of me I can't figure out why people peddling these and similar products spreading reactive chemicals in the air are allowed to do so. "quackery's salient characteristic is aggressive promotion" (wikipedia). *check* -- It's quackery.

Quote Originally Posted by ejectionseatfixer View Post
    Im either thinking of installing this in the crawlspace open or just sending it back. Thoughts?
    Send it back, put the money towards sealing and encapsulating the crawl space.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Is encapsulating and closing the vents viable? Iv heard so much back and forth that I just dont know anymore. Also, my house is on a slope, so my crawlspace is sloped also, is it supposed to be level? The last guy I saw said it needs to be.

Quote Originally Posted by ejectionseatfixer View Post
    Is encapsulating and closing the vents viable? Iv heard so much back and forth that I just dont know anymore. Also, my house is on a slope, so my crawlspace is sloped also, is it supposed to be level? The last guy I saw said it needs to be.
    Slope is not a problem. Maintaining <50%RH is a critical part of good crawlspace. In a green grass climate, this means a good dehumidifier. In fact the entire home should be <50%RH for comfort and indoor quality. Brand like Ultra-Aire/Santa Fe are my preferred makes.
    Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

I agree controlling humidity is key to mold growth as is the control of it's food source.
    I did have a very positive results with the plug in model and have science installed guardian air units in my home given them to my employees and offices.
    I have a customer whom I installed a mini split for a few years back.
    The location was a flower shop that they had closed down and turned into a storage / workout area. The system operated intermittently due to them not occupying it all the time.
    Well mold started growing out of the unit forming on the outlet which I cleaned numerous times to only find it growing back.
    A tech rep was visiting my office and I showed me the model that plugs into a wall and asked me try it out he had no sooner left when a light went off in my head and I it took to my clients business. The mini would not let install it inside of it but the space was small and I had nothing to lose. I came back two weeks later and the old was turning white like a dying coral reef. I cleaned the unit again and went back in two weeks. It was over the battle had been won.
    Granted if they had left the unit on to reduce humidity and kept the place cleaner I would not have been in that situation. The owners wife had insisted I pull the Mitsubishi out and put in new one. R-22 (not happening). I found a working solution to the problem. An experience like that will make a believer out of anyone. I went ahead and bought it and sold it to them.
    It's Hammer Time!

Genesis,
    Do you know where I could find a copy of this article? I have searched for some time and I'm unable to locate on the web.
    Thank you.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234