Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post House smells due to litter box

HI guys, first time post. I have been lurking for a while.

I have a situation that I want to see if I can remedy. I have a 2 story house with a finished basement. The basement consists of 2 rooms. The main finished part and then the back room that is smaller that has the cats litter boxes as well as the air handler for the first floor along with some shelving for storage.

The litter boxes have been down t here for a few years now. The cats get down there through a series of cat doors. The basement is a walkout basement. The back room where the air handler is and the litter boxes is the part that is underground. There are no windows in this part.

We have been having a problem where the whole basement and the first floor will smell like stale air/litter. I scoop the litter daily, wash the litter boxes b ut it really doesn't help that much. There is not really much air circulation down there as there is only 1 vent off of the unit that air conditions the first floor. Also that back room where the air handler is and the litter box is is pretty sealed off except for the kitty door. All that smelly air is working its way up to the first floor and stinking the place out. Especially when we come home from being out of the house for a few days.

I go to thinking and thought that I need to get the stale air out of the basement while getting fresh air into it. I decided to pick up one of the window fans that have an exhaust feature to it. I have had that running for a few days now in the finished basement part and it appears to be helping a lot with smells. The problem is that there is still some smell left as I think what its doing is pulling the smelly air out of the back room across the finished basement and out the window. So the main finished basement still has a little bit of a smell. Definitely better than what it was but not presentable if I want to entertain down there.

My next thoughts is to install an exhaust fan in that back room that vents outside. Something subtle that will help circulate the air and get the smelly air out of the room through the quickest path. I have about 3 feet to work with at the top of the walls in that back room that I would be able to cut a while and be outside and above ground.

My questions is:

Is this the best approach to help solve this problem? Any suggestions on how to correct the air quality in the basement and in return the rest of the house?

Thanks much!

Jonathan

best solution get rid of the cats and litter box

Quote Originally Posted by superfittertech View Post
    best solution get rid of the cats and litter box
    LOL, believe me. After these pets have lived their lives we will not be getting any more. Until that time comes a solution to the problem at hand that does not involve getting rid of the cats would be best for us and our 3 year old daughter

If you install an exhaust fan in that room with no make up air, it's going to create negative pressure. Is it just a air handler or a furnace in the same room ?

Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    If you install an exhaust fan in that room with no make up air it's going to create negative pressure. Is it just a air handler or a furnace in the same room ?
    It is a heat pump. If it creates negative pressure, which I believe what it is just doing now with the window fan wouldn't it just pull clean air from the first floor down? Is this bad?

Install a stand alone ERV or HRV

Quote Originally Posted by jhabers View Post
    It is a heat pump. If it creates negative pressure, which I believe what it is just doing now with the window fan wouldn't it just pull clean air from the first floor down? Is this bad?
    So all electric home ?

Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post
    So all electric home ?
    Yes unfortunately

Quote Originally Posted by superfittertech View Post
    Install a stand alone ERV or HRV
    Thank you, doing some reading in them now. A few questions. Would something like this run all the time? How much would one of these cost to run?

many options. you can run off a timer, dehumidistat, thermostat or just a plain old wall switch. The best ones made by Fantech & Honeywell use small backward inclined fractional HP ECM motors. Use very little electricity. You can also tie into your air handler (supply to air handler & exhaust to room only) if you want to

This is GREAT! This is what I have been trying to find but had no idea what it was called or how to search for it. Kudos for the help

Is the quality of this one any good? http://amzn.com/B000XJNZ1Y

Thanks

could be OK. This is more like I was talking about.

http://www.supplyhouse.com/Fantech-S...-to-1200-Sq-Ft

So the cats are safe now (new home wise)
    See... where their is a will, their is a way.
    Good job superfittertech !!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast