Time synchronization Xenta911

Hi
    I have a problem and could realy need some advice. We have a couple of buildings running Xenta911 (about 20). Every night we have about 30-50 on-offline with DDCs trends etc...cannot be read. My guess is that this was some sort of time problem and therefor I surfed into every 911 with it's IP adress. And yes, no one was configured pointing towards a time server (RTP).

Now to the problem, a service technician told me that I was wrong. These problem is not due to 911 time configuration, in fact it is the computer that holding the TAC vista program that must be exact. So what role plays the 911 RTP?

Confused??/Mike
    Last edited by mibotech; 12-09-2012 at 04:11 PM.

Sounds like you need to stagger upload times and or trend times.
    Is all your firmware and vista software the same version? Which version of Vista and what firmware do you have in your 911's?
    Each controller can refer to an external NTP server, but Vista can handle this as well. You can check times in each controller via Vista and it allows for a time sync within Vista, short of time zone. Time zones are set in each controller in the case of a network that spans time zones.
    "How it can be considered "Open" is beyond me. Calling it "voyeur-ed" would be more accurate." pka LeroyMac, SkyIsBlue, fka Freddy-B, Mongo, IndyBlue
    BIG Government = More Dependents
    "Any 'standard' would be great if it didn't get bastardised by corporate self interest." MatrixTransform
    http://threedevilskennel.com/ - not my website.
    Versatile Hunting Dog Federation - www.vhdf.org/

Quote Originally Posted by crab master View Post
    Sounds like you need to stagger upload times and or trend times.
    Is all your firmware and vista software the same version? Which version of Vista and what firmware do you have in your 911's?
    Each controller can refer to an external NTP server, but Vista can handle this as well. You can check times in each controller via Vista and it allows for a time sync within Vista, short of time zone. Time zones are set in each controller in the case of a network that spans time zones.
    -------

Hi crab master
    You are right, it is a firmware i think. I found a breakpoint from version 5.1 and up, the firmware supports NTP there and below version they don't. About 10 of them is from 2.0 to 5.0 so I will have them updated later. But what i don't understand is why the service technician said that the problem is not the firmware? The support for NTP must be there for some reason i think. And yes, I also synchronized vista so now they all point towards a common NTP server (found a key in windows to manipulate HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\W32Time\).

So you are saying that vista itself can handle time as well. Do you know where those references are? Is it done in the menta files?

I don't know exactly what you have on your site other than 911's, so I can only assume you have 911's, 401's, 300's and maybe some 280's.
    Each device listed above can have it's own clock and that can sync with Vista. This is all done thru Vista. In Vista under your site name/the square image under the folders pane that has a green dot, yellow cylinder and gray box you can select that and look at the properties. In that there is some time control settings, I wouldn't mess with those, but at the last information tab you can see what time Vista thinks it is. I don't think you have a time issue.
    The time references are done at each Xenta programmable controller via Vista Workstation.

The problem may not be the firmware, but there are known issues with various firmware versions and those issues include devices that report online/offline, but never actually go offline. Are you getting actual offline/online device alarms or are you getting trend logs that can't be read, so warning messages?
    "How it can be considered "Open" is beyond me. Calling it "voyeur-ed" would be more accurate." pka LeroyMac, SkyIsBlue, fka Freddy-B, Mongo, IndyBlue
    BIG Government = More Dependents
    "Any 'standard' would be great if it didn't get bastardised by corporate self interest." MatrixTransform
    http://threedevilskennel.com/ - not my website.
    Versatile Hunting Dog Federation - www.vhdf.org/