+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Propane based R22

Post Likes

Confused Propane based R22

I have a customer that wants me to charge his HP with propane based R22. I have never heard of this refrigerant. He says he has used it and can get it cheap. I don't like the sound of it. Sounds dangerous to me. What is it?

Post Likes
    Is it the same refrigerant that's used in RV reefers?

Post Likes
    I never heard of it either. I always supply my own refrig. and use what the manufacture recommends. I would tell him if he wants it charged with that, then he can do it.

Post Likes
    Tell him no. The propane based refrigerants are not legal to use in home comfort cooling systems.

Post Likes
    R290, BBQ fuel basically, just dehydrated.

Widely used in Europe and Australia.

Post Likes
    Yeah, don't do it. A guy like me may come along and pump the unit down to replace the indoor txv and kaboom!!!!!

Post Likes
    I'd want to talk to his insurance agent, and YOURS before I even bought that stuff.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by welling service View Post
    I have a customer that wants me to charge his HP with propane based R22. I have never heard of this refrigerant. He says he has used it and can get it cheap. I don't like the sound of it. Sounds dangerous to me. What is it?
    There are a number of hydrocarbon blends out there for R-22, including plain old propane. You cannot legally retrofit a unit in the U.S. with a hydrocarbon refrigerant.
    If we have data, let’s look at data. If all we have are opinions, let’s go with mine. – Jim Barksdale, former Netscape CEO

Post Likes
    Have built small experimental units with BBQ propane, ran thru a drier, work great with R22 txv/scroll compressor. Water/water unit outdoors where any R290 leak can flow downhill.

One of the safety concerns to remember is that the drier removes the percaptan as well as moisture so no aroma/smell to indicate a leak.

Anything anybody here builds never leaks anyways, eh?

Post Likes
    Armaflex will cover that leak for you hehe

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by junkhound View Post
    Have built small experimental units with BBQ propane, ran thru a drier, work great with R22 txv/scroll compressor. Water/water unit outdoors where any R290 leak can flow downhill.

One of the safety concerns to remember is that the drier removes the percaptan as well as moisture so no aroma/smell to indicate a leak.

Anything anybody here builds never leaks anyways, eh?
    Odorant is Methyl Mercaptan,,,,,,,,,,,
    One way to outthink people is to make them think you think. They'll think you're not really thinking what you're trying to get them to think you think...........

Post Likes
    We had a class the other day on new R22 replacements and the guy giving the class from Honeywell said the environmental nuts are pushing this hard at the EPA. He then showed us a demonstration video of a House Refrigerator charged with propane. They simulated a small leak and the defrost timer cut in and guess what!!!!! BBBOOOOMMMMMMM
    One Hell of blast, blew the door completely off and sent the ice bin flying in the air. Not in my house!!!

Post Likes
    I am not going to use it. I do keep several types of refrigerant on my truck and propane is not one of them.

Post Likes
    The problem with some blended refrigerants is they have a different glide....meaning in the event of a leak, all the other ingredients may leak out leaving you with pure liquid propane. This stuff makes big fires!

Post Likes
    propane does have the same boiling point at r22 but its just a lil more combustable.

Post Likes
    Propane for all your heating AND COOLING needs!why didnt i think of that?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by welling service View Post
    what happens when the compressor shorts out internally and obviously makes sparks will it blow up???? or not since you need oxygen, i think it will still go
    kaaaaboooom???? honestly its messed up think about it you have these hacks throwing it in these systems then here you go replace txv under normal procedures starts a huge fire now its on your insurance company, kind of not fair gotta becareful out there.

Post Likes
    Propane's explosive limits are 2.37%–9.5%. It will not explode below or above these concentrations. It is very common as a DX refrigerant in household refrigerators in other countries and has been for a long while now. The amount required is only a few ounces. It is also widely burned in gas absorption refrigeration systems, so it really can heat and cool!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyac1 View Post
    what happens when the compressor shorts out internally and obviously makes sparks will it blow up???? or not since you need oxygen, i think it will still go
    kaaaaboooom???? honestly its messed up think about it you have these hacks throwing it in these systems then here you go replace txv under normal procedures starts a huge fire now its on your insurance company, kind of not fair gotta becareful out there.
    No oxygen, no boom.

Post Likes
    Correct it needs oxygen to blow. When my reclaim machine failed last week it blew out a mist of refrigerant. Pretty sure that would have been a fireball with propane.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in