Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Oil furnaces, more comfortable?

I don't work on oil at all. There is very little oil around my area, and I don't have my OBT licence, as my company doesn't do any oil work.

I have herd from several oil techs that an oil furnace produces a "more comfortable heat". Is this simply due to the hotter flame temps? Or is there more going on, just curious really. Any input from the oil guys would be nice

Most know what side of the bread their butter is on! Folks who deliver oil will swear by it.

Recall reading a survey in the early 1950s, when nat gas distribution was just geeting started in Central IL.

Around 20% of surveyed folks still thought COAL was the best heat and even the most convienient!!!! Of course we got coal from the mine 4 blocks from the house for about $3 Ton in those days, hand fed gravity furnance.

Pop wasn't so parochial for coal, the minute NG was available (the NG company used the old coal gas lighting lines that were in place, with new meters, etc) we switched.

An aunt had oil furnace, her house smelled like there was an old D2 cat running somewhere nearby!

BTW, mom still lives in that house, I checked the HE 2 years ago, just like new, old Hobart furnace, haevy gauge stainless steel HE - only things every changed were newer thermostat and new belts and rubber bushings (once) for the fan motor

Quote Originally Posted by junkhound View Post
    An aunt had oil furnace, her house smelled like there was an old D2 cat running somewhere nearby!
    That oil smell never goes away. I have a house in WI that I converted to NG 5 years ago from oil and the basement still smells like a truck stop, although it's getting less as time goes by. I've done plenty of work in Chicago, in basements of old commercial buildings that continue to smell after being converted years and years ago.

Comfortable heat=minimal heat loss. Good insulation, good windows, and if you want to throw something servicable into the mix, it's baseboard heat hands down.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

Oil sucks, it's a mess as 2sac said. I service plenty of them and the only good thing is the billable time. It's warmer heat and in the morning it's nice to sit by vent, I have cast iron baseboard which has the same effect.

I figured it was the warmer temps that made it appealing for the hard core fans

Quote Originally Posted by LKJoel View Post
    I figured it was the warmer temps that made it appealing for the hard core fans
    Oil heat delivered the same supply temperatures as older natural draft furnaces should have if they were set up correctly. Newer gas furnaces are about 10 degrees cooler in supply temperatures than oil or about 130 degrees if set up correctly.

Oil was stinky and dirty because of the lack of knowledge on how to set them up properly. I have seen many oil installations including my own father-in-laws and you didn't know they had oil. When his furnace was pulled out there were holes in the heat exchanger, but know smells and no soot. I would take oil over LP any day, but you have to learn that much of what has been taught on oil over the years has not been quite correct.
    captain CO

Oil furns put out hotter air, but lower temp air and longer run times produce a more comfortable house. You will have a hard time convincing people of that if they have always used oil.

Quote Originally Posted by joeblo View Post
    Oil furns put out hotter air, but lower temp air and longer run times produce a more comfortable house. You will have a hard time convincing people of that if they have always used oil.
    Still wonder how a furnace that cannot satisfy the thermostat setpoint can be more comfortable, unless of course people set their thermostat for a temperature they really don't want.
    captain CO

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Davis View Post
    Still wonder how a furnace that cannot satisfy the thermostat setpoint can be more comfortable, unless of course people set their thermostat for a temperature they really don't want.
    It's all a govt conspiracy, it's what we're trained to say lol.

just got done with weilmclane boiler with a wayne blue angel burner clean as can be

Quote Originally Posted by david chamberla View Post
    I sold Wayne burners for years and really liked them. How was your CO at Light-off, Run and Shut-Down?
    captain CO

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Davis View Post
    I actually did a little experiment on just that this winter. Last year I removed my goodman 75 single stage furnace and replaced with an Armstrong 60 2 stage. House is 1200 sqft, built 1925 with lots of added insulation. This year I disabled high fire, low fire is only 36000 BTUH. So far, results are good, house is very comfortable, with very even temps everywhere. I'm happy with the switch so far. We will see how we'll it holds up when things get really cold, but much better so far

Oil furnaces blow warmer air then lp or natural furnaces. My area is mostly oil heat. Alot of people don't like forced air heat because of the big swing when the furnace is on as compared to off, especially in a drafty house. Also, most of the furnaces are oversized and that makes the comfort level worse. I see quite a few hit high limit while I am try to do a cumbustion test.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast