+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New Tech question, any cheap alternative to Silfos 15? Will Silfos 6 work for AC/Rifr

Post Likes

New Tech question, any cheap alternative to Silfos 15? Will Silfos 6 work for AC/Rifr

I know is a silly question but my wallet is terrified and keeps nagging me. I already invested in some Silfos 6 and wondering if 7 is better. Because im a experienced welder I took to brazing supriseingly well in class using 15%. Perhaps I can skill my way to using 6 or 7% with no problems and save $$. Any experienced this?

Post Likes
    Sil 15% is a wonderful product, but if your doing copper to copper you could use dyna-flow that has no silver in it and with proper brazing skills it should last the life of the equipment.

The purpose of silver is in my opinion three fold,
    1 The more silver the easier it is for me to braze and the joint looks nicer. Anything over 45% silver looks like jewlery.
    2. The greater the amount of silver the stronger the joint
    3. Silver helps with areas of vibration, such as discharge lines etc.

All this being said, proper brazing rules being applied, suction and liquid condensing connections could easily be soldiered with zero silver based brazing rod. In our town the local welding supply house gives samples to customers, they will even take you to the back room and let you try it. I would NOT recommend using a fluxed rod or that Black Max rubbish, I don't use any flux except when going from copper to steel and then I use 45% silver rod.

Information is available here; http://www.harrisproductsgroup.com/e...s/Brazing.aspx
    Last edited by Rich; 12-08-2012 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Addtional info

Post Likes
    Thanks for the reply. Yup been reading up on all the alternatives to brazing with respect to bot the liquid and suction side, also the type of gases, heat ranges to use and whether or net its necessary to open the system to repair a leak if the system/work area has been pumped down. Im an older new-tech, 55 and retired military and about to start my own handyman non-profit business. Targeting low income (family/elderly) who cant afford allot and need a fix rather than a completely new system. Thanks

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by CWO4GUNNER View Post
    Im an older new-tech, 55 and retired military and about to start my own handyman non-profit business. Targeting low income (family/elderly) who cant afford allot and need a fix rather than a completely new system. Thanks
    A few things I suggest for you

1. Not all the elderly need help, many do have siblings that CAN afford things. Use your talent for the TRUE needy and pass over those who have kids who make tons of money but are using the system
    2. There are government organizations that actually do help the poor,(and many who use the system). In Ohio we have HEAP which will pick up the tab for for a complete heating system. Sadly there are a lot of abuses.
    3. Your services will provide a real need for many who fall in the cracks. Consider building a real set of guidelines and details of what qualifies someone getting help from you and then share this with other companies. They may (I would) give you good operating parts and supplies being replaced with new equipment. But if you help this in item one I would stop and so would others.

You may also help out through the Salvation Army, Habitat, Volunteers of America etc.
    I wish you well.

Don't be afraid of Dynaflow, it works.

Post Likes
    I know it may seem expensive, however i will say i dont practice proper brazing techniques and 15% has never let me down. i always run nitrogen in my lines but i am not afraid to fill a 1/4 inch gap with 15%. also over time you will find that by picking the correct torch tip for the job and correctly managing your heat you will use very very little stick in your joint. some of the techs that i work with that have 25 more years experience then i do will heat a joint press the stick into one side pull the torch to the other pull the torch off and move on, looks like a dry joint when they are done.

the real benefits of the 15% is that joint thats very hard to get to or you cant quite reach the back of it. 15% flows very well. if its not your first stick in your bag i recommend that you at least carry some.

Post Likes
    Thanks all, the advice here is really great especially now that I finished school, a hard 2 year course combined into 1 year certification taught by the legendary Ken Kramer with over 55 years of experiences. But there is always more to learn in this trade from you experienced folks here and that is what I love about this site especially now that Im no longer clueless. I suppose I owe a debt of gratitude to the residential AC company that gouged me $375 a year ago to add 2 pound of refrigerant and a Chinese ODF capacitor that failed a week later, replacing it myself with the old spare I insisted on keeping. After that day I was determined to learn the trade and become socially independent in HVAC if not for my own home and my rental property to help others.

Again thanks, God bless and Merry Christmas

George G., CWO4 USCG Ret

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in