Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    said I was not posting anymore, but I have access to ANY equipment I wish at top tier prices.

I put in what is best for the situation, NOT brand.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

I've read through this thread and, well, there's plenty of crap flying from both sides.

Quantumstate. You've got your mind set on a certain thing and nothing that anyone says will dissuade you from that. However, a person expressing an opinion contrary to yours or expressing an opinion that you don't like doesn't make them a "hack" or "worthless"

Pros. Quantumstate seems to me to know what he wants and is bound and determined to have it. Let's not drop to the level of mud-slinging, please.

Whoah, 10kW is 42 amps @240. That is about worst case, but it seems best to have a gas furnace for backup. Also I like to be able to fall back on gas if electricity skyrockets or if a power failure. A genset can run a furnace.

jpsmith1cm I came here to ask certain specific questions, not to get advice on what brand of equipment, or even the size. Why do you think otherwise? Because my actual questions got lost in all the mire. What makes you think I don't listen to others? Who knows.

Questions still outstanding (after all this mess):

On the thermostat, is it possible to program in fuel costs (by therm) so these can be taken into account by the system? Does the XL950 really have Zwave, and is this additional kit needed?

On the evap coil, I read here that it is better to slightly oversize it. But the next size up in this coil is 60k btu. That seems like too much of a jump from 36k. So I went to the next-best coil in 3.5 ton, the 4TXCB042BC3, and 4 ton, the 4TXCB048BC3, but neither shows up in AHRI as an approved system. So it doesn't seem possible to slightly over-size the coil with the newest equipment?

On the air cleaner, is this true electrostatic? The contractor doesn't know and doesn't really want to check. I see it has a prefilter, and then an electronic module, so I suspect it is. So how would this be cleaned? Are they reliable?

No one here knows, so I'll find out elsewhere.

QS, JP gave us a hard reset. Thank you is in order. I cut you slack before but that last comment makes you look bad. You want help? Show gratitude, you are not paying for this advice, and it is likely to be unavailable to you anywhere else.

Aircleaner - most people have ford pinto's and you are asking about a maybach. You may not get engagement on that question because not many of us sell maybach's. To most, a 4" media filter is de minimis, but even THAT can be tough to sell. We see that as a chevy Malibu, homeowners look at it like a mercedes s class. Whatever you get, make sure it has a think media filter as part of the deal.

Also, the technical questions about new equipment, buddy, you are an early adopter. You want that stuff, learn by doing, or wait until people have sold to early adopters and received feedback.

Heatpumps - if you have natural gas, hybrid is great. Otherwise, you might want straight pump. Hybrids do not allow for staging of gas AND hp, it's either or. Straight heat pump can stage resistance on top of the pump. If your pump doesn't carry 100% of the load, electric can come in for the last few percent.

When my mothers hybrid was installed the guys accidentally locked the furnace out. I got a call at 9pm on a 7f Saturday night. "temp's fine in the house, but register feel cool, is that a problem?"

I ran over and set it up right for her. But I suspect that 3 ton pump would carry the house to well below 0f.
    Which makes more sense to you?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

DO THE NUMBERS! Step on a HOMESCALE.
    What is comfort? Well, it AIN'T just TEMPERATURE!

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

Response to Quantumstate

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by beenthere; 12-10-2012 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Non Pro * Member

kbreiwick, this is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

Your post has been deleted.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by Quantumstate View Post
    Questions still outstanding (after all this mess):

On the thermostat, is it possible to program in fuel costs (by therm) so these can be taken into account by the system?

No one here knows, so I'll find out elsewhere.
    If Natural Gas is < $0.90 / therm, it would be competitive with a HSPF 9 heat pump at ~ $0.09/ kW.

"The System" that takes care of it is " The Brain".
    ... Reference : post # 41, 42 & 46.

If a contractor does not answer your inquiries, " Fire Them".

-----------------------------
    Your Government $$$ at work
    www.eia.gov/neic/experts/heatcalc.xls

---------------------------
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Quote Originally Posted by tedkidd View Post
    QS, JP gave us a hard reset. Thank you is in order. I cut you slack before but that last comment makes you look bad. You want help? Show gratitude, you are not paying for this advice, and it is likely to be unavailable to you anywhere else.
    "Gratitude"? For what? For chronic attacks and snarling comments intended to cow me into submission?

No sir. That may work on each other, but not on me. You don't know the answers? Fine. don't snark then, and get bitten back. Just learn to STFU for a change.

I am glad to discuss this rationally and share ideas with ppl like BL, Dan, Dennis and Ted, but the rest of you are just nasty.

Aircleaner - most people have ford pinto's and you are asking about a maybach. You may not get engagement on that question because not many of us sell maybach's. To most, a 4" media filter is de minimis, but even THAT can be tough to sell. We see that as a chevy Malibu, homeowners look at it like a mercedes s class. Whatever you get, make sure it has a think media filter as part of the deal.
    Well I'd describe the Carrier filter as the Merc, as it is technology bought to zap microscopic pathogens such as Legionnaires. Parts are expensive to replace. Trane's might be the Jeep. It's electostatic and so the prefilter and capture element can simply be washed. Long-lasting. Basic element filters are the Geo or Yugo, although I will put in an element as a pre-pre-filter to save wear and maintenance on the electrostatic.

Can't find any evidence of a 'think media filter'.

Also, the technical questions about new equipment, buddy, you are an early adopter. You want that stuff, learn by doing, or wait until people have sold to early adopters and received feedback.
    No bother, I have all my answers and more now. I am shocked with the wholesale price of the Trane XL20i, and am again considering Carrier. Trane's condenser is only a hair cheaper. I can not understand how they can charge so much.

Heatpumps - if you have natural gas, hybrid is great. Otherwise, you might want straight pump. Hybrids do not allow for staging of gas AND hp, it's either or. Straight heat pump can stage resistance on top of the pump. If your pump doesn't carry 100% of the load, electric can come in for the last few percent.
    An air handler is just a non-starter. In the worst of Winter here we tend to lose power due to falling trees, and I can power a furnace from a genset. -And- there's alot to be said about the flexibility of dual-fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by dan sw fl View Post
    If Natural Gas is < $0.90 / therm, it would be competitive with a HSPF 9 heat pump at ~ $0.09/ kW.

"The System" that takes care of it is " The Brain".
    ... Reference : post # 41, 42 & 46.
    Good to know. Sure the t-stat decides the balance point switch, and I find that for the XL950, one setting you can choose is:
    Code:
    •       Operating Cost – The HSPF of the heat pump and AFUE of the furnace must be entered
    along with cost of electricity and fuel.  The control calculates an economic balance point
    for system change over.
    Good news indeed. Just like the Carrier.

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

Last edited by beenthere; 12-11-2012 at 06:13 PM. Reason: Non Pro * Member

Kathy you're about to get whacked, but I am getting conflicting info on whether or not there is Zwave. I know the ComfortLink does, but the ComfortLink II may or may not. In order for it to control Schlage locks it must have. If it does, there are a number of open-source tools I could use to maybe control locks, door sensors, cameras, etc. Remains to be seen.

Sure the II has wifi, and this allows -remote- control. You can monitor and control temps remotely for free, but to control locks and cameras you need a Nexia paid subscription.

kathy-sunshine, this is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

Your post has been deleted.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

BTW pacnw, if people kill with guns, then there is still a problem, and you had better fix it fast or we are taking away your guns.

You gun nuts are the most terrified people I have ever known. You are frightened and shaking in your boots. Don't try and deny it, because we know and we see you.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast