I have a quote for a new Trane system in western WA as follows:

Furnace XC95m - modulating 3 ton 97.3% variable speed. TUHMB060ACV3VA

Heat Pump XL20i 4TWZ0036B

Thermostat XL950 - ComfortLink II TZONE950AC52ZA
    Additional kit

Evaporator Coil: 4TXCB004CC3H

Air cleaner 17" TFD175ALFR000B

CleanEffects™ Connection Kit for Modulating Furnace - BAYACCECOMM100
    The quote seems high, but I also have some questions based on my reading here.

On the furnace, I read that "Comfort R needs to be set up correctly." What does this mean? How is this done? And also, assuming this system works properly, the heat pump should run like 80% of the time? So it seems like this furnace is overkill. I don't want to go to the XC80 as it is much lower efficiency, but there's nothing communicating in between?

On the thermostat, is it possible to program in fuel costs (by therm) so these can be taken into account by the system? Does the XL950 really have Zwave, and is this additional kit needed?

On the evap coil, I read here that it is better to slightly oversize it. But the next size up in this coil is 60k btu. That seems like too much of a jump from 36k. So I went to the next-best coil in 3.5 ton, the 4TXCB042BC3, and 4 ton, the 4TXCB048BC3, but neither shows up in AHRI as an approved system. So it doesn't seem possible to slightly over-size the coil with the newest equipment?

On the air cleaner, is this true electrostatic? The contractor doesn't know and doesn't really want to check. I see it has a prefilter, and then an electronic module, so I suspect it is. So how would this be cleaned? Are they reliable?

My contractor is not the sharpest tool in the shed, but he's the only choice if I want Trane in this area.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Quantumstate View Post
    My contractor is not the sharpest tool in the shed, but he's the only choice if I want Trane in this area.
    So basically your taking brand over brains?
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    and sounds like he OP is doing the load calc, or asking the questions, here!

this sounds like a WOS in the making and complaining HO after install!
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Post Likes
    Alrighty then, thanks for the helpful advice. I get the picture; I'll find another forum.

Post Likes
    No, you need to find a dealer who IS the sharpest tool in the shed. If this guy who isn't is the only Trane dealer, we're saying it would be unwise to buy a Trane. Find the best and sharpest dealer first then worry about brands. Trane is great but not if installed or sized improperly. When you want high end equipment to perform flawlessly, you want the best installer or it won't.

Post Likes
    Please don't be condescending. I'll look elsewhere.

Post Likes
    Please don't be condescending. I'll look elsewhere.
    They weren't condescending...its extremely good advice. The final product has to be installed properly into a duct system and house and then setup properly and like others have said find an excellent installation company and don't worry about the brand as long as it has the features you want.
    I wish I had a $1.00 for every response I deleted.....

"Decidedly Superior in a twisted pathetic way".....

Post Likes
    What I'm saying is it's going to either be Carrier or Trane (or Am Std). Maybe you don't understand that, but that is my decision. And I don't have alot of choice who installs it because the industry is locked up tight, as you know.

So I am doing the best I can to get the info I need to make sure this is done properly. What is a forum for? I think it is to ask questions, and that is exactly what I've done, but have only gotten crap from the likes of worthless Mr Bill.

I've already done a great deal of research, as you can see. I didn't just fall off the turnip truck. I have been a commercial real estate developer for 22 years. So you can talk to me like a grown-up. If you don't know the answers, don't just give me crap and make yourself look bad. Life's too short.

Post Likes
    What I'm saying is it's going to either be Carrier or Trane (or Am Std). Maybe you don't understand that, but that is my decision.
    Got to be an engineer to think brand, because they don't understand simple things like a good install with builders quality equipment, is better than a bad install with Carrier or Trane. They would think good quality, compensates for a bad installation, funny thing is most all have the same compressor now days, maybe Carrier or Trane has better pressure switches.
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    I guess you're a Fedders man, Mr Bill...

Post Likes
    [QUOTE=Quantumstate;14741251]I guess you're a Fedders man, Mr Bill...

Maybe the answer is to just open my own account with my GC license and buy the equipment on a commercial account, if y'all don't think this guy is qualified.[/QUOTE

That would be more disasterous than your orignal plan of using a "dull tool".

My company would GIVE YOU load calc, duct analysis, equipment selected to your preferences, matchup documentation, full proposal on EVERYTHING we were going to do including extra safety devices.

GC? I only do GC's personal houses....they usually use the cheap dull tools for their customers

Post Likes
    But you are not here, are you beshvac? And those weren't my questions anyway.

This is my personal house. I am a commercial developer.

Well, we're not getting anywhere.

Post Likes
    But you are not here, are you beshvac? And those weren't my questions anyway.

This is my personal house. I am a commercial developer.

Well, we're not getting anywhere.
    No we are not, but there are probably guys just as good in your location-you can recognize a dull tool so the sharp ones will stand out too. Don't be hung up on brand, Brands are truly not nationwide and a lot of a brands performance in your area depends on the local distributor support.

Post Likes
    I guess you're a Fedders man, Mr Bill...
    Used to be a Fedders dealer back in 1971-72 but now a Ruud dealer, and trust me, Trane nor Carrier have anything better to offer than Ruud, O except for a higher price if that counts.

Post Likes
    but have only gotten crap from the likes of worthless Mr Bill.
    Look boy, calling someone an engineer is different than worthless, just because your old lady ran off with the a/c man, don't take it out on us.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    Look boy, calling someone an engineer is different than worthless, just because your old lady ran off with the a/c man, don't take it out on us.
    Yeah, I am an ME and have just learned to ignore Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beshvac View Post
    Yeah, I am an ME and have just learned to ignore Mr. Bill
    Hey I am service tech, and a dang good one at that, our job is to talk about the equipment, not necessary the folks that design it, unless they start calling us names.

What is the definition of an engineer? Answer: Someone who solves a problem you didn't know you had, in a way you don't understand.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    Hey I am service tech, and a dang good one at that, our job is to talk about the equipment, not necessary the folks that design it, unless they start calling us names.

What is the definition of an engineer? Answer: Someone who solves a problem you didn't know you had, in a way you don't understand.

Yeah, I know why you are a RUDE dealer.

Post Likes
    I have been a commercial real estate developer for 22 years. So you can talk to me like a grown-up.
    and this qualifies you how???

if you were that qualified, why are you here?

move on and don't come back, until you post your "... my system does not work..." questions.

bye, bye.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Post Likes
    But you are not here, are you beshvac?
    did you try looking in the Contractor locator section to find a QUALIFIED person in your area?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in